Italeri F-104G, CAF Pilot Figure

Barry

I have picked up the new F-104G from Italeri and my plan is to build a Canadian AF CF-104G as station in Germany during the mid to late 1970s as pictuted. I have the very nice Leading Edge CF-104G decal set. It does not have the marking for the aircraft pictured but does include marking for the aircraft in the basic dark green scheme. I may seek some custom masks for the other marking if I choose to go with this scheme.

My questions are:

Who's pilot figure (in-flight) would best represent a Canadian pilot for that time period. PJ Products does several that may be "close" like their Germany F-4 Pilot and the NATO Pilot or maybe a combination of two. I have no idea what the harness or helmet looks like that was used by the CAF. Perhaps some of our Canadian modelers could help shed some light on my quest.

There is a Aerial  Rocket pod located under the left wing as well as an external tank (I think) on the center line. The kit includes a C/L Rack but no stores for it. Does anyone have any information on these?

TIA, Barry

Picture posted under the Fair Use Act for illustration, teaching purposes only: http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

CF-104_1_zps6029fc6a.jpg

I'm working on a series of accessories for the 104 in 32 but the time will not be short, now available is the SUU-21 you see in the picture. others will follow. the C / L pylon and the BL75 pylon aren't very good (in dimensions and shape) as soon as possible I will try to produce something better.

I forgot to point out that the wheels included in the kit for the CF-104 version is fictional and should be replaced with something more realistic.

Edited by onosendai

Onosendia,

My build will be an in-flight display so the landing gear will not be used. Have you decided on what the other accessories will be?

I watched the Canadians perform at an airshow while working in Germany and the were flying the 104s in the green scheme.

Thanks for the information.

Barry

Have you decided on what the other accessories will be?

Pylon, bombs. dispencer, pods, rockets, towbar etc.etc.....but it takes time and time, at the moment I can't make any prediction about the release date.....

Pylon, bombs. dispencer, pods, rockets, towbar etc.etc.....but it takes time and time, at the moment I can't make any prediction about the release date.....

I understand completely.

Thanks,

Barry

Hey Kevin,

I'll start a search for one should not be too tough to "seat" him I would think as he will not be too visible below the waist.

Would it possible to get a photo? Maybe I can use another seated figure and rework it.

Thanks,

Barry

Guest Jessie_C

Canadian flight helmets used in the Starfighter era looked like this. The bright orange Mae West covers most of the pilot's chest when he's seated. The CF-104 used the Lockheed seat so the harness was pretty much what the Italeri kit gives you.  Flight suits were rifle green in the first part of the '70s, then later on they were tan (though the jackets stayed green). The winter jacket was thicker, and had a black "fur" collar (coiuldn't find a larger image. Sorry). Don't forget that the instrument panel of the CF-104 was a bit different from what the kit gives you. Here's all the bangity things the CF-104 could do (your photo shows 7 shot practise rocket pods on the wings). That last site looks pretty interesting with lots of good CF-104 information.

Even though the aircraft doesn't have Fang on the tail, the pilot's yellow helmet visor makes me think that he's from 439 Sqn.

:yahoo:

Thanks Jessie wonderful stuff! :bow:

The 439 Sqn. markings are actually one that is included in the LE decals and that is the scheme I will likely use.

Barry