Not large scale part deux

Guest Jessie_C

Guest Jessie_C

I had so much fun doing the North Star and DC-9 that I decided not to stop. Part Deux of my "then and Now" build will be a Lockheed Constellation and Boeing 787

t_n_49.jpg

The 787's fuselage fit is pretty good
 t_n_50.jpg
Only a skim of filler is needed on the bottom
 t_n_51.jpg
I blocked off the APU exhaust hole with a piece of styrene tube and filed it to shape
 t_n_52.jpg
The wings also fit well
  t_n_53.jpg
except where I stuffed up the assembly. But filler and sanding will save that
 t_n_54.jpg
A test fit reveals the size of the beast
 t_n_55.jpg
Turning to the engines, a coating of Humbrol Polished Aluminium on the fan bits
 t_n_56.jpg
While the hot section gets Polished Steel
 t_n_57.jpg

Guest Jessie_C

Boeing paints the 787 in mostly overall white rather than their usual grey. Thus I'll use white as a primer
 t_n_60.jpg
Oh dear, the camera reveals a nasty paint sag below the forward windows. Must remember to sand that out once it's dry.
The engines are lovely little assemblies. What I thought would be a two layer fan turned out to interlock into a one layer fan which would have been impossible to mould cleanly because the blades are so close together. Zvezda's engineering here is very clever
 t_n_61.jpg
I painted the insides of the cowlings with Alclad Duraluminium on the bare plastic, hoping to achieve a light metallic colour
 t_n_62.jpg
The engine assembly is very positive with no fit problems
 t_n_63.jpg
As I had hoped, there's a subtle tone difference between the fan cowl and the intake
 t_n_64.jpg
Engines assembled and awaiting their intake rings
 t_n_65.jpg

Guest Jessie_C

It's Revell's, which is about a thousand and fifteen times better than Minicraft's. For a start, it's actually got accurate shapes. The 787 is the Zvezda kit. I'm not thrilled with Zvezda's decals, so it's a good thing I'm going to be using aftermarket markings :)

Guest Jessie_C

Been toying with the idea of doing a civilian air liner. Who is the maker of your 787 model?

Cheers,

Dave

The 787 is Zvezda's, but it's also available with better decals in a Revell box. Whichever one you get the plastic will be the same.

Jess, I have an old Heller? 1/72 (I think) Connie in the stash. Do you have any info regarding that kit? Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but you builds have really piqued my interest. Nice work!

Guest Jessie_C

The Heller Constellation is quite nice given the time period it was made. There are several inaccuracies, the worst of which is the engine nacelles being too pointy. It can be built into a very nice model straight out of the box. Here's mine:

connieu.jpg

There are aftermarket engines available from several sources which improve the kit immeasurably.