brahman104

Vampire from a Sea Venom. 24/6 she's all done!!!!&

G'day guys,

I've never really had much of a look at the group build section of this forum, but seeing as my next project is a conversion of Revell's Sea Venom to a RAAF T.35 Vampire, I figured this would be as good a time as any to start. This is the two seat version, so I figured that seeing as the Sea Venom was developed from the Vampire, it shouldn't in theory be too hard to go back the other way. I threw out the box top a fair while ago, but for those who haven't seen the kit, it's certainly no modern marvel of kit engineering. I'm not sure how long the kit has been around for, but have a look at this…..

IMG_2698_zpsc6832987.jpg

Having a look around and getting some basic drawings, I needed to determine what to throw out and what to keep. The throw out pile got pretty big, which I'm confident qualifies me for this group build. In the end I'm keeping the centre nacelle (although it will be reworked), the canopy, wheels and centre wing section. Everything else will be from scratch! 

IMG_2697_zpsb2491bc5.jpg

IMG_2696_zps035a590b.jpg

how cool are the seats???? :)

IMG_2699_zps216b2c24.jpg

More to come!

Edited by brahman104

A bit more….

After deciding some basic dimensions, it occurred to me that the cockpit was beyond saving, and not really knowing a lot about Sea Venoms it appears that they were only single pilot, with some kind of radar operator in the other seat. This works fine, giving me two very basic pilots and seats to work from, as well as limiting the amount of detail to add in the cockpit, given that it was only 44 inches in the first place! 

And so it was on with building an acceptable instrument panel. There appeared to me many different variations on panel layout and many of the photos from the net were restorations which is always fraught with danger. I'm going to put in a disclaimer right now that this will not be the worlds most accurate vampire, but hopefully when I'm done it will look something like one!

First off were the pedals 

IMG_2811_zps1c501e3f.jpg

The basic panel. At least I could use the shapes of the front and rear cockpit bulkheads as templates for new ones.

IMG_2813_zps07e78c95.jpg

A bit of trial and error with the punch and die set, I got some holes for the instruments to go in. I think it's starting to look a little better!

IMG_2814_zps43d888f7.jpg

IMG_2816_zps97cad63b.jpg

And with some air scale instruments. This is the first time I've used them, they're really cool!

IMG_2819_zps13f98589.jpg

Lastly, some work to cover up the horrid moulded in details on the sidewalls...

IMG_2821_zpsd42545bc.jpg

More to come

A friend of mine did the same conversion back in the mid '80s and it worked well - great project - will be following closely  :)

Iain

Oh well that's good to know that it can be done! If you know any tips please feel free to share them, I'm pretty much cuffing this as I go! :)

Craig

Thanks for the comments guys and for looking in on my build! A little more of the office….

Trying to judge dimensions from photos taken at obscure angles in always fun, but I think these should suffice...

IMG_2823_zps7d9cb481.jpg

The trim wheel on the left I made using lead wire and plastic so it's slightly larger than the other one which I adapted from some kind of steering wheel I had lying around. The rest is bits and pieces. The best part about vampires is that the cockpits are black, so you aren't going to be able to see much once it's all closed up, but it's still fun to make all the little parts.

I couldn't ignore the control columns any more, as I needed to work out where these sat so I can get the seats built. As I only had one stick from the kit I pondered how best to make another one, then I remembered Ripaman's epic hurricane build where he used a thing called a turbo carver which is a little pen-like rotary tool which runs at super high rpm but almost zero torque so you can use it pretty much like a pen to carve into just about anything, including stone and glass. So I began carving the basic shape out of a piece of brass.

IMG_2828_zpsbdc3d762.jpg

This is the first time I have used it in this capacity, and it works really well. In not much time I had the basic shape roughed out.

IMG_2829_zps7f114a76.jpg

IMG_2830_zps8184e9ab.jpg

IMG_2831_zpsdae1ee28.jpg

IMG_2832_zpsb0902146.jpg

And I forgot to take a pic of the finished control column! That'll be in the next update. I apologise for the out of focus photos. The iPhone can't really handle macro too well. :)

More to come soon….

G'day guys,

I've never really had much of a look at the group build section of this forum, but seeing as my next project is a conversion of Revell's Sea Venom to a RAAF T.35 Vampire. This is the two seat version, so I figured that seeing as the Sea Venom was developed from the Vampire, it shouldn't in theory be too hard to go back the other way. I threw out the box top a fair while ago, but for those who haven't seen the kit, it's certainly no modern marvel of kit engineering. I'm not sure how long the kit has been around for, but have a look at this…..

Having a look around and getting some basic drawings, I needed to determine what to throw out and what to keep. The throw out pile got pretty big, which I'm confident qualifies me for this group build. In the end I'm keeping the centre nacelle (although it will be reworked), the canopy, wheels and centre wing section. Everything else will be from scratch! 

how cool are the seats???? :)

More to come!

The reason it's not modern, is that it's an old mold from Matchbox. I considered doing the Vampirte from this kit way back, but found that they are not very identical as the Venom has swept wings and the Vampire doesn't.

The Sea Venom was a brave and bold release by Matchbox - it's not without it's flaws (mainly lack of/incorrect detail) - but the shape's pretty good.

It's a great canvass IMHO...

As to T11 - yes different wings, jetpipe, undercarriage, intakes, nose, rear fuselage, fins etc., etc. - and I don't think the canopy can be used either - but I'd need to check that.

One day I plan to do a series of Venoms/Vampires so I have 6 of the Matchbox/Revell kits on stock (might be 8 - can't remember). One day we may even have some enterprising aftermarket company do a range of conversions, or maybe even complete kits - but until then it's all down to good old modelling skills/fun :)

I've been looking at a Vampire fuselage that Tigger gave me - with a view to making a single seat Venom.

The Vampire T. Mk11 my friend built (Del Holyland) looked very good - and got Gold in class at the 1985 IPMS(UK) Nationals - beating my CF-18 into second place! :)

So it can be done - I've seen it! Can't remember the details of exactly what Del did though...

Superb work on this so far - love the Instrument Panel!!

Iain