CANDY CANE A, an Eagle from the Revell kit FINISHED

blackbetty

Hi Karl,

If you have a look at the first image you posted of 73-0103 you'll see that the gear doors and legs are white. I think the interior of the bays was also white.

As fas as I know (and I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgable than I), the metallic green is used in the avionics bays, radome bulkhead and interior of bay 5.

HTH

As far as I know (and I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than I), the metallic green is used in the avionics bays, radome bulkhead and interior of bay 5.

For most of the production F-15s, this is correct. I built the Revell kit many years ago. I believe it's a vastly under-appreciated build subject. When I did mine I used pre-Testors Metalizer F-15 metallic green. Looked fantastic at first, but it faded to silver over time. Ouch. I'd be really curious to know if the very earliest Eagles did have that metallic green in other sections of the airframe?

Guy, i meant: is it possible for the bays to be green allthough the legs and doors are white?

thanx for the interest

Hi Karl,

it's an interesting question. I had a look through my Eagle books but could n't find many clear images showing the early wheel wells. However, all of the gear legs and the inside of the gear doors was white. Even "Streak Eagle" (the un-painted record breaker) had white painted wheel wells though :hmmm:

I'm unable to prove that some Eagles may have had the green painted wheel wells but I would say that it is unlikely.

As an aside, an image on p35 of the Aero series #28 (ISBN 0-8168-0604-7) shows 73-0103 with the red and white candy stripes but a yellow and black fin flash of the 461st FS.

I can't wait to see some progress on this one Karl.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...