1/32 RAAF Macchi MB326H Canopy Master

ericg

Here is some more progress. This model will take a fair while so I will work on it in conjunction with freshly started models so that I can try and keep my AMS in check.

After I sorted out the fuselage issues, I glued both halves together so that I can fine tune some of the shapes. I plan on making the cockpit and the nose gear well as seperate slide in items.

As mentioned before, the canopy was missing. One of the skills that I have always wanted to learn was the ability to make canopies from scratch using the vac-form process. I decided to master the shape from balsa wood and then once happy with it I sealed it with super glue and then further smoothed it off. I actually really enjoyed this process as there is a certain amount of craftsmanship that came from carving the wood shape and then hand shaping it to the desired profile. Now I just need to go and buy a vac-forming machine.

roughly hewn block of balsa

353B50CF-E987-4F17-BAD4-54E2C11D84D9_zps

getting there

96FDFAF3-9D6D-4426-9402-26CD4E7ED017_zps

smoothed and fitting pretty good. I have some more work to do here to get it to fit a bit better, but overall I am pretty happy with the shape.

760D2BBC-18ED-4B8A-B032-7174B0301969_zps

6109EC84-4291-46F1-8C91-DE510F98EE80_zps

Here is the tail section, and you can really see the amount of work that has gone into sorting out the shape of the plastic. I cut the area of the jet pipe off and glued a block of plastic onto it and then shaped it with the dremel.

8B4097C1-B890-404E-909A-1C7A4268A7B9_zps

Here is the kit next to the Mirage, just for shits and giggles

C8C9A940-FD08-4A9C-906B-DB3AD0AF2CC1_zps

Edited by ericg

One of the skills that I have always wanted to learn was the ability to make canopies from scratch using the vac-form process.

Hi Eric, that will stand you in good stead in the future I'm sure. I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

I'm in the same boat in that I'd like to learn how to make masters for vacu-forming so I'll eagerly follow along and take notes.

I have a quick question at this stage if I may?

I see that your balsa wood master follows the contours of the airframe. How do you plan to allow for the extra thickness of the clear vacu-forming material? :hmmm:

What???

A 1/32nd scale Macchi MB326H???!!!

Who do you know - Eric .... That I don't????

.... To get something like that!

I will be watching you like a Hawk from now on!!!

.... Or was that Mirage???

You are hammering out good results with it , so far- my friend..

Keep at it! You Are on a roll!

Phil

• 4 years later...

Lovely subject and excellent work thus far.....

The macchis are great and I have a somewhat similar offering of the elder brother the 339 as obtained from one of our mods here............don't have the kinda skill you have to even consider starting on it........

hope to see more soon.......

rgds

Guest Maxim

I would love to see an injection kit of the 326 in 32 scale. Pretty little aircraft and was a great trainer with some good color schemes.Pity we don't have one or two flying in Aus.

Wow, talk about digging up a thread from the past!

This project has been long forgotten with a resin kit of the Macchi soon to be released.

Eric.

"A resin kit of the Macchi soon to be released"   YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!   :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Edited by gregair

My good mate Les, or Uncle Les as he is known is ironing out a few issues with his forthcoming resin kit. I figured it would be easier to let him do the hard work than me try and come up with something half presentable with what I had in this vac form kit.

See here for Les's kit:

http://uncleles.net/2017/06/06/132-macchi-mb326-resin-kit-in-the-making/