HK Models 1/32 Meteor Mk 4

LSP_Kevin

As promised folks, here's the opening salvo to my HK Models test shot build. This kit arrived without a box or instructions, and with test decals that I'm told do not meet production standards in terms of colour fidelity. I have some rudimentary assembly instructions in PDF format, but no painting and marking guide. So, here's a teaser shot of a pile of sprues:

sWxAPq.jpg

For more photos and sprue shots, check out the preview I did from a couple of weeks ago, and also the associated forum discussion.

The reason I'm starting this thread now, rather than when I've got some actual progress to show, is that I have no idea what colours to paint the cockpit. And of course, that's where I'd like to start! As best as I can determine it appears to require a combination of black and interior green, but I'd love to hear from anybody with some definitive info.

Kev

OK, I've started snipping plastic off the sprues. My sample shipped with extensive bubble wrap, but in a relatively flimsy plain cardboard box, so the trailing edge of one of the wing roots suffered some crush damage:

HfXWpJ.jpg

uU9ZXm.jpg

This shouldn't pose too much of an issue, and I'd imagine the final retail package won't suffer from this possibility.

One thing I noticed immediately is that the sprue attachment points are on the mating faces of the parts, rather than their outer visible surfaces:

DsMnWt.jpg

This is a double-edged sword. On the positive side of the ledger, it means that clean up - when done carefully! - should not mar the visible surfaces of the kit. On the negative, injudicious use of the sanding stick will produce a local depression in the plastic that could result in gaps come assembly time. On the whole though, I think I prefer this approach than the other, which risks damage to surface detail.

Here's the fuselage taped together after cleaning up the sprue attachment points:

H9xi7E.jpg

The fit is pretty good, though not completely crisp along the mating edges, and there's a notable 'unfinished' look to the plastic either side of the seam line:

IjQpI1.jpg

This will be taken care of during the clean up of the fuselage seams, but it did strike me as a little odd. Here's the wing assembly similarly cleaned up and taped together:

EV37x1.jpg

And then the two assemblies brought together:

c6wUNa.jpg

Fit is pretty good, though the trailing edge of the wing roots will need careful assembly and clamping to ensure there are no steps:

SJtsZo.jpg

KEsxHJ.jpg

I suspect a little bit of filler will be required, but nothing too dramatic. Next up I'll start work on the cockpit.

Kev