Tagging Threads

LSP_Kevin

Howdy folks,

There's a tagging feature in the forum software that really isn't being used at the moment, so I'd really like to encourage members to use it where applicable. But first, let me explain what it is.

When you start a new thread, underneath the "Topic Title" field there is another, labelled "Topic Tags". This is a place to enter keywords regarding the topic. For example, I've recently started tagging all the review and review notification threads with the word 'review'. Not only does this greatly aid efficient searching, but the forum software also uses this information to populate a sort of 'related content' section at the bottom of the thread. So, if you load up a tagged review thread, all the other tagged review threads will be listed at the bottom of the current thread. This obviously makes it very easy to find other review threads, and equally applies to any conceptually-related content in the forums.

So, by way of a few handy guidelines, here's how I see it being used. Firstly, don't put really obvious or generic stuff in there, like '1/32' or 'model build'; stick to specifics that will help connect multiple, similar threads. For example, all our current B-17 build threads would group beautifully if they were tagged "HK Models B-17". So, it's useful to tag any model build with kit information ('Revell Bf 109G', 'Trumpeter MiG-15', etc). You might have to use the forum search function to find the first one, but after that, they're all at your fingertips!

The second guideline is to only bother tagging model threads (RFI or WIP) and useful stuff in, say LSP Discussion or Tips and Techniques (etc). In other words, don't bother tagging joke posts in General Discussion, or anything else members are unlikely to actually search for.

Thirdly, be succinct! Don't overload it. You're only allowed a maximum of 10 anyway, but you would rarely need that many. You just separate them with commas, so multi-word tags are fine.

That's it! Give it a go with your existing threads, and ask any questions here if you have them. Oh, I've tagged this on with 'forum info'.

Kev

You should be able to Barry, but you'll need to use the same process you would for editing a topic's title. This means you'll need to go back to the first post, click on the 'edit' link, and then choose 'use full editor' (or whatever it says exactly).

Kev

Kev,

Maybe a permissions thing. Not familiar with IP board but in the SMF boards I admin that would likely be a permission setting for LSP_Members. Not trying to butt in, only offering a suggestion.

I don't see it when I try to edit the original post either. Everyone that has issue so far (at least looking at this thread) is a member of that member group. 

Obviously you found the issue. It is now working for me. I was able to tag my 104 thread 

Hasegawa F-104G

successfully.

Edited by sluggo