Italeri Starfighter

Rob Colvin

Mmmm... well, I'm surprised at how heavy the panel lines are, have their E-Boat and Vosper MTB and I don't recall anything approaching that. Might look alright in a camouflage scheme, but personally I think it's shortcomings are going to show if it's done in a grey/natural metal scheme, very disappointing. Have one on the way from Lucky, may well be going straight on ebay... don't have any AFV kits, but hopefully theirs will be better and cheaper, and they produce all the variants everyone wants... TF-104G  :wub:

What price a Tamiya Starfighter? Considering the emphasis on their home market it's surprising they haven't done one. 

Edited by Kagemusha

Mmmm... well, I'm surprised at how heavy the panel lines are, have their E-Boat and Vosper MTB and I don't recall anything approaching that. Might look alright in a camouflage scheme, but personally I think it's shortcomings are going to show if it's done in a grey/natural metal scheme, very disappointing. Have one on the way from Lucky, may well be going straight on ebay... don't have any AFV kits, but hopefully theirs will be better and cheaper, and they produce all the variants everyone wants... TF-104G  :wub:

What price a Tamiya Starfighter? Considering the emphasis on their home market it's surprising they haven't done one. 

Talking about hitting a nail right on the head!

Agree 95% - 5% off the score as mine will be a keeper for the Mount Olympus or a Tiger Meet scheme, so it isn't going on e-bay.

Actually, by the time I've got the milliput out and done some serious sanding, the trenches might prove a blessing :hmmm:  

Still looks wonderful to me

Tony T

Guys, thanks for the photos of the kit. I too am looking forward to full review. I think its not a matter of liking or disliking, it's a matter of money. At $120 we as modelers should expect more and should be given more. It puzzles me RoG can produce such nice/detail WW2 bombers in 1/32 that are almost twice in size and cost half as much.

Thanks Pavel, I spent a whole year at the Cervia AB, home of the 5° Stormo for documenting the last year of the F-104 in AMI service, the aircraft were kept so well that according to crew chief could fly even years, it's only a italian miracle thanks their professionalism.

Well, as a disinterested person (I have little knowledge of the F-104 so my opinion is based purely on what I see in the posted photographs which are clear and consise) I would say that Italeri missed the mark with this kit.  I can't comment on shape issues or any other details of the kit but from what I see, the kit in no way warrants the asking price.  I looked at the instrument panel and the photo etch replacement and was confused by the appearance that the two don't seem to match whatsoever; they're not even the same size/shape.  Is there a kit option that has a different instrument panel represented only with the photo etch panel? 

What I see in the molding reminds me of "old school" technology.  The details that are present seem soft.  It is my opinion that this kit is so representative of limited run molding technology that I would almost consider this kit (judging only by what I see in the photographs of the actual kit parts) a limited run, injection molded kit.  It also looks to me that something was done to the molds (glass beads or something similar) so there's a pebbly texture on the surface of the plastic but that may be mold release I'm looking at. 

Were I an F-104 fan, I would be very disappointed and would definitely pass on this kit. Whether AFV Club release one has yet to be seen as I'm understanding that there's only been CAD images so far.  I'm going to pass anyway because the kit does not interest me but that's my opinion of what I see in the posted images.  I have no idea how this kit stacks up against the 40+ year old Hasegawa offerings so someone infinitely more qualified that I can put forth a comparison.  The kit will have it's proponents and many will be built but I suspect that for $120, there will be fewer sold than Italeri is hoping for. I think that even at $60, the kit would be ok but still not generate the interest hoped for.

Edited by TimC

• 3 weeks later...

Also finally got the F -104 kit from Italeri in my hands this weekend....

Despite the sometimes a little negative stories on the internet, I would like to make any personal  comments about this kit : This is not another in box review, but only a little story about a new kit..

(Thanks Dave for your inbox review elswhere in this forum)

Pluses :

+ 1st impression: Nice great box with lots of stuff (The Right Stuff, hi,hi.... :thumbsup: .)

+ Big and clear instruction book
+ As already noted by others, a great step forward compared to the old Hasegawa and Revell kit
+ I think the price is not too high , compared what you're getting , especially if you compare it to the 1 : 32 Trumpeter kits!
+ Choose for multiple options
+ The color of the plastic : Good grey (workable) color and nice soft
+ No flash ! Only a little flash at the main landing gear, exaust and some minor other pieces
+ Narrow slits / vents nicely open exploded !
+ I have some parts dry fit , I must say: what I have seen so far: Very good, for example: the air intakes and fuselage halfs, excellent!

+ Transparent cockpit components : Nice thin!
+ Decal sheets : As earley mentioned, (looks) good with plenty of stenceling text
+ Inside wheel-doors and inside hatches computerbay, etc: Good detailling and thin!
+ Wing Edges: Sharp enough, almost a knife ! (As the old Hasegawa wings)

+ Wings, fuel tanks and tail section, very fine pannel lines

+ At last: Four (4 !) fuel tanks on this Starfighter !

+ Components are looking better and sharper in real then the photo's that I have seen till now...

Minus:
- Maybe some panels and panel lines are not quite right, but what does it matter ? (again, personal opion) Also I have not measured the right 1 : 32 length,height, etc. of the model.....and I a'm not going to do that !. :doh:                                                               
- Main  landing gear: Had better to be made ​in metal

- Some panelling on the fuselage are too wide, (can be fixed )

- No nose radar.....

- Wheel-tyres, seems not the best part in this kit...

My conclusion so far:
-For me, a beautifull kit which can be used with many possible choices.
 I think good value for money.

And of course there is always plenty of room for further (super) detaillering and after market stuff.

Let us wait and see what th new AFV  F-104 kit is all about.......

Greetings, Pieter, and have a nice Christmas and a good new year  2014 to all of you from the Netherlands!