1/32 Messerschmitt Me 262A-2a

DoogsATX

Thanks!

Need to vary up the metals a bit. The forward fuselage of the 262 was steel, apparently, not aluminum, so I'll see to that. Then I need to deep think on how I want to weather the metal and whether I need to do that before or after the rest of the work.

After that it's on to the putty lines, paint on the engine pods and tail, etc...

NMF "shading" last night. I started out by spraying Gunze Super Stainless Steel and was surprised to see it drying lighter than the SF Silver. I guess the silver acts kinda like Alclad Airframe Aluminum then...

Needing more tonal variation, I had to switchover to Alclad, and used Aluminum, White Aluminum, Dark Aluminum and Magnesium to contrast some different portions of the skin. It looks a bit contrasty now, but that's intentional, since the visual clutter of all the putty will knock down the contrast of the NMF.

01_15_14Me262A-2a-10_zps07a5d476.jpg

01_15_14Me262A-2a-8_zps52ee8395.jpg

01_15_14Me262A-2a-6_zps385e0fa4.jpg

MMMmmmm.. Me-262!  :thumbsup:

A subject matter that's dear to my heart!

Great work so far Matt...

I'm fascinated to know what colors you will choose for the multi-colored  patch-work  exterior surfaces. (???)

So many models that I have seen so far and artwork depictions of this particular War-end patch-work color scheme, have got it so wrong -  to date

Cheers!

Phil

Geez Matt, that looks like a heck of a lot of work! I would have considered doing it in reverse: paint the airframe the putty colour, and mask out the lines using Blu-tac or similar, and then spraying the silver. Will be interesting to see how this turns out! What are you using for the masking agent?

Kev

Geez Matt, that looks like a heck of a lot of work! I would have considered doing it in reverse: paint the airframe the putty colour, and mask out the lines using Blu-tac or similar, and then spraying the silver. Will be interesting to see how this turns out! What are you using for the masking agent?

Kev

I considered doing that, but considering all the surface work that NMF needs, I was worried that the masking would introduce challenges to polishing the base coat and so on.

My masking agent is a liquid frisket. It's basically just liquid latex. Adheres rather well, but also leaves no adhesive and pulls right up when the time comes. 

file-19.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Incredible! Thanks for the tip on the liquid mask and just can't wait to see how the 262 looks after the masking is removed.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Finished up the 4+ day masking job tonight:

01-22-14%20Me%20262A-2a-2.jpg

And moved on to paint! For the gray putty I went with Tamiya Medium Sea Gray 2. The darker putty splotches up front look very much like RLM 81 in the color photos, so that's what I went with, using a mix of Tamiya XF-27, XF-22 and XF-10.

I won't be able to remove all of the masking until tomorrow, but I went ahead and stripped one of the stabilizers to show the effect (FYI the stab putty lines were intentionally left broad...fuselage lines will be narrower for the most part).

01-22-14%20Me%20262A-2a-4.jpg