E-2C Hawkeye - Tigger/ID Models, 1/32

Starfighter

As I chose to finish the exterior shape of the fuselage first, I had to cut it again to insert the cockpit. Looks a little wild here...

sioj.jpg

... but works fine. Here,the cockpit is in place, just missing its sidewalls.

dw43.jpg

Next, I took the not-so-easy way again by deciding my favorite paintjob was worn by a Hawkeye 2000. This means: not only the props and spinners need to be scratchbuilt, but also the belly radar. I simply carved the base out of PU foam which was later sealed with super glue. No big deal, it just takes some time to make sure the radar base perfectly matches the fuselage underside.

dh82.jpg

After adding the radar dome, some sanding and a coat of primer, the belly radar looked like this, shown here with the mostly finished cockpit roof. Groove lines and raised details will be added later.

4iq2.jpg

The next pic shows the belly radar in place with a few details already added. That's how the radar still looks like today, I need to finish detailing yet.

9haf.jpg

Next step was thinking about the props and spinners. I simply turned that spinner on my Dremel which is no problem. But when it comes to drill the holes for the prop blades at an angle of exactly 45°, that's where difficulty starts. I still need to find a satisfying solution for this issue.

w4xc.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Absolutely amazing work, as the level of work is simply brilliant. The front office is a gem and fuselage corrections are so very well done. Thoroughly enjoying and learning from each update.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

WOW!

..that is some brilliant work - my kind of popcorn that's for sure

..it's so cool to see vac-forms de-mystified in a thread like yours - and cool to see corrections being done to make the best of it - thank you for posting

..inspires me to try it one day

Peter

Thank you all very much! Lee, of course I know your build - it's been a big inspiration for me! Du you have any in progress pics of you approach on the wings? Your idea sounds very good! Troy and Thomas, there is nothing so special about this build. I am not very good at scratchbuilding, so there is nothing you couldn't do! ;) It just takes some time and research to do this kind of modifications. Rich, the foam idea wasn't mine - lots of other people have done that before me! :) It doesn't add much weight as the foam is extremely light, but it makes joining the halves much easier as it eliminates almost all possible flexing of the fuselage halves - it adds quite a lot of rigidity!

Hi Starfighter, sorry I don't have any more pics- the total time to glue, install the wedge, reinforce the seams with CA, fill with foam, and putty( but not sand) totaled about 2hours. I'll try and draw pics and upload them. Incredible work on the E-2 .... If i had a hat, I'd take it off to you!

Thank you all very much, I really appreciate your kind words! Peter, I think there is nothing so special about vacu kits. It just takes more time to prepare and glue the parts, but when you work with a good kit - and this one is a good one, even if it has its shape problems - working with it is not that much different from an injection moulded kit. You should give it a try! :)

Craig, the PU foam I have used comes from Pattex and is normally used to fill joints around windows etc. You can find it in any do-it-youself store.

Lee, I'd be very interested in a drawing or so. I am not 100% sure if I'll be able to use yourmethod as I plan to lower the flaps and slats, but any input is warmly welcome! :)

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been quite long since I have updated this thread. I didn't have time to work on my Hawkeye, but I have promised to show you what I did to correct the engine nacelles. The main problem is that the nacelles are much too wide and too fat. The following pic shows the difference between the (already slightly modified) kit nacelle on top and and the almost finished one below. The difference is quite obvious, I think.

IMG_2598.jpg

Here are the side views of the finished nacelle. The strengtheners on the engine hatches were CAD drawn and the lasercut. Material is 0,3mm PS.

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2667.jpg

As the nacelles are identical (and not mirrored! Hasegawa and Kinetic did not pay attention here), I have moulded the corrected nacelle. As it was my first attempt at moulding, I have added FOD covers to the air intakes and the exhaust to ease casting. The casting turned out OK but still requires some sork to eliminate bubbles and a few other flaws. I wish I had a vacuum chamber... I haven't taken a pic of the casting yet, but here's a look at the FOD covers:

IMG_2637.jpg

Finally, I have made a CAD file of the spinner which has then been 3D printed by Shapeways. Here is a pic of the primed part.

IMG_2734.jpg

That's it for the moment - I hope to have more time for model building once I have moved and my new modelling room is ready... 

Comments and critique are welcome as usual!