Canso (Catalina A or US Designation PBY-5A)

Ripaman

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy... I hope this WIP goes on forever!  This is work from another planet and another caliber.  Kevin took the words out of my mouth, I confused this with the real landing gear.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely beautiful Richard! Those rivets really set off the overall piece. It honestly looks like it has been riveted together! Tell me, how do you handle and  attach your rivets in such neat little rows? Do you lay down a bed of glue first and then apply each individually? Your spacing on them is so precise, it's pure perfection :)

Craig

Hi Craig,

Has been awhile since updating my WIP, sorry it has taken me this long to reply to your questions, I put tape down then marked on the tape where i wanted to add a rivet, I use Gator Grip glue which I use a small brush to brush enough glue on to put 3 rivets at a time before adding more glue, spacing is then done by eye.

Hi Richard

:sorry:  I could not get in the PBY5A, If I did you and I would have the photos of the Cockpit floors and bombardier area. :shrug:

The bad thing to , is that plane is four and a half hours away from me. :(

But yours is looking great :yahoo:

Thanks Vandy, it would be nice to know what they had but I will keep to what I have done.

The landing gear just looks incredibly realistic - awesome!

Thanks very much Starfighter

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :popcorn:

:bow:  :bow:  :bow:

:wow:  :wow:  :wow:

Hubert

Thanks also Hubert,

Regards

Richard

Thank you for the words of encouragement Richard.  Especially from a master like you.

I still don't believe you. I think you're making a real Catalina in your garage, and you're just attempting to trick us. The site does say 1/32 and up….

The brass looks like a good investment for the landing gear, this can not be a lightweight kit once all is said and done.

Matt  :frantic:

I think you will be right Matt, it will be a heavy plane once complete.

Dude!  You're the bomb!  I see you've marked off the 'semi-circle' for the two rows of rivets.  What are you using as rivets?  The black ones are Archer, are they not?  What about the 'silver' ones?

Love your micro-detailing, Richard.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark

Rich; Page 7, Post 98: there is an aft inspection port on the wheel well cover.  It appears to be the same size as the front access port.

Hi mark,

The rivets are made with the nutter, you have a small tool and you just push onto foil and you get small rivets or you cando nuts as well, yes I have to add the other access port, also will make a hinge at that end as well. 

IMG_5954.jpg[/url]

Damn, I'm turning 57 in September so I'll have no chance to ever aquire your skills... :BANGHEAD2:

Outstanding work, Richerd. Next time I visit my relatives in Morinville I'll have to pay you a visit. I MUST see those beauties of yours in the flesh!

Cheers

Rainer

Hi Rainer, just turn 57 last week and you have plenty of skills my friend, I hope next time you are here in Alberta we get to meet up.

Ripaman, I hope you won't mind me addressing my very first comment at this wonderful place to you.  First, your work is absolutely astonishing.  You were so very close to having the entire parts list for that nose gear that I wondered where were the seals.

I suppose there is such a thing as proportion, but my question would be, can you possibly match what you've done with that nose gear with the rest of the (visible) project?  I'm thinking not only tires, but engines and certainly the office.  Are 1/32 A/N gauges available?

Very nice going. Your work is indeed an inspiration.  Thank you so much for sharing the process with us.

john

Thank you very much John, I do get carried away with detail but I enjoy making parts, will try to match what you see with the nose gear to the rest of the plane.

Simply amazing work. Just can't get enough

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Hi Peter, sorry it has taken me awhile to post, had quite a few months with some personal issues.

Regards

Richard

Richard, I'm simply lost for words........and yet words somehow magically appear in front of my eyes..........must be my fingers twitching uncontrollably as my brain tries to comprehend what the eyes are seeing.

My wife asked my what I was saying when I cried out, "plrfjyggfettxxtth!"

Cheers,

Wolf

Hi Wolf, can I ask what does plrfjyggfettxxtthh mean  :hmmm:

Richard ,

I am a dedicated follower of your work..sometimes speechless so just drool....

Absolutely lip licking, eyes popping heart racing kind of build..

And of course the subject :CATALINA is pure JOY ..

THANK You.

:bow:

Hi Maru, thanks for you kind words again, you always make my day.

Nice to see our model in really good hand !!!!!!!!

It will be masterwork !!!!!! Really !!!!!!

If any question do not hesitated  to ask me. 

Regards

Mirek

Hi Mirek, thanks very much for making a very nice model, all I am doing is adding abit here and there, and yes I will be asking you questions.

Hi Richard

have you seen this website - literally hundreds of photos (including some contributed by yours truly  ;)  )

http://www.seawings.co.uk/

Hi Rich, thanks for the website, great pictures

Oh boy... I hope this WIP goes on forever!  This is work from another planet and another caliber.  Kevin took the words out of my mouth, I confused this with the real landing gear.

Thanks N312RB, just trying to make as per pictures I see.

Regards

Richard

Is he back from his travels?

Yes Iam back had lots of fun 

Yup, he phoned me last week but he's not been modeling,  yard work etc!  pretty much the same with me. I haven't been in the hobby room in two months.

We should not have any problem going in the model room now Ron, its to cold to do yard work now :yahoo:

Hi Vandy,

Yes I have had some time to play with the Cat, started by removing all the ribs in the wheel bay because I looked at a picture you sent to me and one other from the maintenance manual 

102_4685_zps2433e399.jpg[/url]

an-01-5ma-2w-p389-1_zps477ee865.jpg[/url]

IMG_6611_zps9366ba71.jpg[/url]

Then I added some sheet brass, then bent some angle as per the picture now it looks close, will be adding some rivets here and there.

IMG_6641_zps90622cf5.jpg[/url]

IMG_6643_zps706c3b7a.jpg[/url]

IMG_6645_zps8ac3d281.jpg[/url]

IMG_6646_zps6476c5e6.jpg[/url]

Until next time,

Regards

Richard

Holy... WOW.... Just got onto this build....... Richard, ....words can't describe....! I stared at the photo of your nose wheel assembly for like an hour ! ......WOW....

Joe66

• 2 weeks later...

Richard, how is this project progressing? I miss your regular updates! That said I understand completely how projects progress at the speed of life as Ron would say. With a house full of family and a trip to St. Louis Mo. for my son's wedding my own current projects have come to a standstill.  Hopefully you'll have something to share real soon!

Cheers,

Wolf

:popcorn:  :popcorn:  :whistle:   

Edited by Wolf Buddee