Golden age help needed

Hardcore

My gaming club need proper 20's and 30's aeroplanes for rpg/miniature scenarios taking place in that era. First out is an excavation of a cursed tomb in Egypt...

Scale should be close to 1/56 but 1/48 is fine. Preferably not any stringbags.

Suggestions very welcome

Not my scale, but you could look at William Brothers.

http://www.williamsbrothersmodelproducts.com/planes.html

Their Lockheed 10 Electra is 1/53rd scale and there is a 1/48 Pitcarin autogyro available. The Electra is mid-30s but probably the closest to the scale you are looking for.

Gary

My gaming club need proper 20's and 30's aeroplanes for rpg/miniature scenarios taking place in that era. First out is an excavation of a cursed tomb in Egypt...

Scale should be close to 1/56 but 1/48 is fine. Preferably not any stringbags.

The "stringbags" unfortunately were the only way to go until the 30's. Even the Gee Bee and P-26 monoplanes still had lots of rigging wires. P-35 or P-36 monoplanes started the unrigged standard, but until then the biplanes were in power. You are well into the Bf109B or Spitfire Mk I and Hurricane before all that rigging was completely gone. The wings just weren't strong enough without it.

However, you could fake it and just use monoplanes without rigging. Ebay should help find some of those "golden oldies".

some of the types that come to mind (if you push on to the end of the 30's) would include the DH89 Dragon Rapide (even if it was a biplane) as Aeroclub did one of those. You might see a Junkers Ju52, and Revell actually did one of those in the airliner configuration. Big, but as a transport, it makes sense. Classic Airframes did quite a few military planes, but also did the Hudson which carried a number of airline colors. That or the Monogram DC-3 also could make sense and both were done in 1/48.

These aren't completely easy to find and are quite large even in 1/48, but they do show up on ebay once in a while. They could carry more than the explorers, like all those looted treasures.... shades of Indiana Jones, or the Golden Monkey.

Have fun with this,

Tnarg

Take a look at www.Ecardmodels.com - at the bottom right of the front page is a hard-to-see link for "Advanced Search" - click it and then select "LadNDad" in the Manufacturer list.  They have 222 models of all eras, mostly WW2 and earlier, all to 1/48 scale.  They are pretty much all $2.50 each and come to you as a PDF which can easily be rescaled when you print (printing at 85% should put very close to 1/56.)  These cardstock models are relatively simple to build and are certainly good enough for gaming purposes.

I have no affiliation with Ecardmodels or LadNDad (other than buying most of their models.