tamiya f16

strez

so i finally picked up tamiyas f16 .what after market have you guys added , is the aires pit a big improvment , how about their exaust ,id like to do it up nicely , just not sure what i should get .thinking of using twobobs alabama ang markings , that snake looks pretty cool

thanks for all response

andrew

I for one woud not spend too much money in aftermarket on that kit. It is pretty ok just OOB. On mine, I just used PE from Eduard for the cockpit, twobobs decals and added a sniper targeting pod.

Edited by discus

I used the kit cockpit on mine, with a few small details added.  The seat isn't bad- I thought about adding one of those to the kit office but the AM one from Quickboost is too small- looks kinda weird in there.  Not sure about the Aires one though.  The kit exhaust isn't too bad, but the AIres one is SO much better and is a complete drop in fit.  You won't regret getting one of those!

It depends what you exactly want. The kit itself is great and can be built OOB being a very good looking viper.

But some AM are very nice sets that give you even more details, but you will have to spend extra money and give extra work, especially for the aires cockpit and even more for the aires wheelbay, which is a real eye catcher, but a PITA to set up (you have to scratch something in the front wheelbay with the kit part mixed with the resin part because the aires part do not fit at all).

The aires exhaust nozzle is ok, no problem to set it.

There is also other AM sets, i have got a C cockpit from black box, a A cockpit from True Details, and a wheel bay from CMK (there is also a cockpit from CMK i believe) which looks great, but i have not built them yet.

So if you want to build a great kit (one of the best i have ever built !) without any problem (you almost wont have to use any putty !) with a very good amount of details for an injected plastic kit, you can build the tamiya F-16 kit OOB.

If you want to add some very nice extra details you can add some AM, but it will costs you more (almost the price of the kit if you get a cockpit+wheelbay+exhaust+decals) in money and in elbow grease. On the other side, it will costs you more but your build will at least take you twice longer.

But as it was already said, the kit is very good and nicely detailed on its own.

Here are a few pictures of mine, with aires cockpit, wheelbay and exhaust :

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=46974&hl=barak

EDIT : @Daywalker : i think it'd be the same with the aires seat, as it must be the same master for quickboost, but with the seatbelt added.

Edited by Zero77

I built mine pretty much OOB except for resin tires and the Eduard cockpit/seat/interior PE sets. Oh, and the RB nose. I scratched the tailing edge sensors with brass tubing and brass rods, too. But no expensive resin interiors or cans.

The kit cockpit is very nice, but the Aires one is of course a step up above that.  Same with the wheel bay/exhaust.  There really isn't a dire need for them though, the kit is just fine OOB.  

Enjoy the build, it's a really great piece of kit

Matt  :frantic:

bill ,  whats an RB nose .The tires look good ,although i hear they may be a little  too flat , what do you think .And hey Zero77 , nice job on your israeli bird !

I thought the nose thingy was an RB Model item, but that shows what happens when I don't check. It might've been a JBModel.eu, but their website appears to be down and I can't be sure. The kit item is shorter I believe than the AM one.

I prefer NOT to use vinyl tires for a variety of reasons, and would suggest you get AM resin ones.