B-17G Double the fun!

pzcreations

Heres my next duo build..this time ,2 HK B17s! Certainly a logistics nightmare in my workroom.

The first one will be 'Baby' using Zotz decals. Im also using the MKI detail set on this one.. I havent seen any reviews on it yet..but so far the only thing Ive found in this set to be worth it is the landing gear and MG barrels..the prepainted photo etch parts are flat,bland, and some actually blurry... the photo etch set for the flaps..basic, as inaccurate as the molded on kit details, poor engineering , and poor instructions. The only thing you get out of the flaps is added ribbing ,rivet detail, and a huge headache. The set comes with paint masks for the windows..but is missing a few, alot of them are undersized..and a few are mis-numbered in the instructions. Have I ripped it enough yet? heres one more.. it contains 2 aluminum/photo etch bombs, but theyre too short on the fin end (almost nothing there) to attach the fins to. did I mention the gun barrels?..it has really nice gun barrels! wish they would sell them separate. ok..I think thats enough ripping for now..maybe more later..

for the interior ,Im keep the painting and details basic..since you can see it..but you cant...

100_9245_zps3c3d8f45.jpg

100_9290_zps6baedb46.jpg

100_9244_zps36a239f1.jpg

a note about the ammunition belts..in the instructions, HK misnumbered a few of them, some are called out twice,I cant remember which,but I discovered that while assembling the nose section.

100_9247_zpsa6848b6a.jpg

100_9246_zpse163b318.jpg

100_9297_zpsa50d0112.jpg

Did I mention the nice gun barrels?

100_9251_zps8a7e9bbb.jpg

Heres the useless flap details..I'll take a better detail shot in a bit to show how worthless they are.

100_9300_zpsb9a9396b.jpg

Heres where Im at so far with 'Baby'  for some reason the left wing fits perfect..but the right wing ,the top half sits too high..not sure what I did wrong there..never could figure out what was causing it.

100_9301_zps6d440ce4.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Tim

OMG, Two B-17's at the same time .. you have to be a pure machine for sure. Nice start on both and the heads up info on the MKI detail set is greatly appreciated.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

lol, yes a Zwilling..if your willing..my wifes been helpin ..but stayin organized ..lol thats not easy :frantic:

wheres the K sprue? which K sprue? the one with the K parts on it! ..which one? for this B17 or that one?  this one! ...no no, not that one ,we already did that one..the other K sprue!

heres some of the details from the MK I set..

the bombs..

100_9305_zps06e80515.jpg

The photo etch prepainted parts..as you can see ,I havent used these..the details on the kit were much better

100_9304_zps1e618ece.jpg

Heres the flap details..see how the ribs dont line up with the rear wall.. if you install that rear wall piece directly to the kit wall..then the ribs are out of wack...alll of them..

100_9302_zps52dc5d70.jpg

This is the instructions for them.. you see how to install them right? me neither... also,compare not only the details, but how MK has shown the functionality of the flaps and their mechanisms... very basic compared to how they actually work.. so, again..whats the point of using them if theyre not going to be correct,..all they do is add some rivet detail and thin (stingers?) along with the support arms (which is still missing the actuator arms)

100_9303_zps3071137d.jpg

I'm so glad to see another 17 builder jump into the pool.  The problem you have with the wings seems to be more or less universal.  My LHS guy said a lot of builders he's heard from have had problems with the wings also but he didn't say what kind of trouble so it's highly likely it wasn't something you did.   When I did the horizontal stabilizers, I had to cut just under 2mm off the leading edges because they were made too far forward.  Once I trimmed them, they fit great.  I also had to thin out the trailing edges or they would look like 2-3 inches thick if scaled up.  That too was an easy fix.  

I also agree with you on the insides.  You really can't see things that well especially if you're going to put this monster in a case (you'd need an awfully big case) or hang it.  I only put in what I really could see well and forgot the rest.  If someone sees it and asks "hey, where's the_______?"  I tell them it's out for maintenance.   This kit is definitely not for the faint of heart, short of skills or short on patience.  

Both of these Im building for two clients.. the Baby client sent the MK I set to go with it..so..I HAD to use it..otherwise I wouldve just went with flaps up..the way it should be.

which, in response top Jack..I cant even afford my own right now..its killin me ..two in my hands and neither of them mine :crying:

SD, I too had a fit issue with the stabs..but for mine, I didnt need to trim the leading edge..what was causing the problem was the raised portion at the join (not sure what to call it, but its right in front of where the hole is for the front mounting post, the 'leading edge' of that raised 'alignment hump' if that would be the proper term? once I trimmed that back (about 2mm) then the stabs fit perfect.

Both of these Im building for two clients.. the Baby client sent the MK I set to go with it..so..I HAD to use it..otherwise I wouldve just went with flaps up..the way it should be.

which, in response top Jack..I cant even afford my own right now..its killin me ..two in my hands and neither of them mine :crying:

SD, I too had a fit issue with the stabs..but for mine, I didnt need to trim the leading edge..what was causing the problem was the raised portion at the join (not sure what to call it, but its right in front of where the hole is for the front mounting post, the 'leading edge' of that raised 'alignment hump' if that would be the proper term? once I trimmed that back (about 2mm) then the stabs fit perfect.

I forgot about that little mod I had to do.  I must have cut about the same amount and had to do some reduction of the posts connected to the trailing bulkheads.  What a pain but it still came out o.k.

Guest Peterpools

Egads ,Mighty Mo just swallowed a Fortress .. can't believe how big it really must be.

How about a few more pics from the side if possible?

Thanks

Peter