Tweezer aid

It occurred to me while looking at a photo today that I'd meant to tell you folks about an idea I had years ago, and have been using that idea ever since. I was adding some tiny pre-painted parts to a model using tweezers, but kept scratching/marring the paint.

My solution was to plunge the tweezer ends into hot candle wax, let cool, then use the waxed tips to grab the small bits. This also had/has the side benefit of allowing the soft wax to grab the part easier, as the wax is ever so tacky, but not so much as to mar the surface of the part being handled. Once finished, I just slip the wax tips off, and throw them back in with the candle wax that's already melted, for reuse on another day.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I used liquid electrical tape but i like the wax idea better. The liquid electrical tape is really stringy and makes a bit of a mess, which was unexpected since i was just dipping a fine pair of tweezers into it! It was a fiasco on my modeling bench lol

Notoriously, nothing sticks to wax. This method risks contaminating parts with wax residue in the areas where glue or paint is to be applied. 

In the past I used heat-shrink plastic for electrical cable insulation over the tweezers tips. Just slip it over, heat it and it will settle snugly over the tips. That usually provides a lot of "grip". 

Radu 

On 12/12/2018 at 12:00 AM, Radub said:

Notoriously, nothing sticks to wax. This method risks contaminating parts with wax residue in the areas where glue or paint is to be applied. 

In the past I used heat-shrink plastic for electrical cable insulation over the tweezers tips. Just slip it over, heat it and it will settle snugly over the tips. That usually provides a lot of "grip". 

Radu 

That sounds like an evolution of the idea.

Very nice.

Matty