1/24 Airfix Spitfire: Good kit?

GVINCENT

Hello,

I was wondering if the Arfix 1/24 Spitfire is worth the effort or should it be passed on?  I know many kits from that era can be "difficult".  I don't need to wrestle anything only to find out I should've passed on it.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheers!

Gary V.

If you can get a hold of a very old, flash-free release of the kit, I'd say go for it. Nowadays the molds are so old that you'll spend most of the time removing flash in the worst possible places. Ejector pin marks are also common. It generally goes together well though.

Awesome kit last century not so good this century but don't let that stop you from trying one out as I've seen some pretty stunning builds if you have the time and put in the effort.

Guest Colin M

I built two as a kid when they came out and my modelling skills were worse than they are just now, could never get the front top engine cowling to sit properly over the Merlin engine ... I'd put the money aside if I were you and just go for the Tamiya Spitfire once funds allowed ... but was in the LMS yesterday and felt half tempted to try one of Airfix's 1/24 again for nostalgia but resisted and came out with only a couple of botlles of Micro Sol.

I really do have too much to catch up on the bench but was tempted I'll admit, also have said to myself 1/32 for aircraft only and a purchase like that would break my rules and look odd displayed beside my other 1/32 aircraft i've finished ... I wish Airfix would switch to 1/32 from 1/24 but I guess they are too steeped in that scale traditionally to change now?

I'm betting too that today's announcement from Airfix at Telford about a new big kit will be a long awaited glass nose 1/24 Mosquito to maximise on machining investment of the old kit .. the Mosquito was the only 1/24 of theirs I never built, never will with the HK 1/32 mossie announced now ... Oh well.

Hi Gary;

I'll echo what Dan had to say. It's still a great kit if you are happy to put in a little extra work into it. Surface detail is nice with recessed panel lines and good rivet detail. The engine is ok, but I prefer to button up the cowlings and go to town on the cockpit. The wheel wells need addressed as does the cockpit. I also added extra work in the area of the radiator. The kit radiator housing and radiator simply glues onto a flat surface on the bottom of the wing. On the real aircraft, this area is far deeper, with the radiator going all the way to the underneath of the top surface of the wing. There are good photos of this area available online and it is worth the effort adding the extra detail here. Detailing the wheel wells is not too much of a headache. Also, the oleos are in the fully extended position, so this will need altered to get the correct sit of the aircraft.

As Dan says, Grey Matter do some useful extras for the kit. They do a lovely replacement seat, which is a must as the kit seat is way oversized. As far as wheels are concerned, Contact Resine used to do resin MkI to V wheels....not sure if they are still available.

One bit of advice. Try to go for an old 70's boxing of the kit if possible as the moulds were newer then and the kit is far crisper. Having said that, I had a brand new Airfix "red" box kit recently, and it looked as if the moulds may have been cleaned up a bit as it seemed a lot crisper than a 1990's boxing of the kit I have (which is pretty dire). Also, the plastic is nicer in the latest boxing and you get a lovely Catograf printed decal sheet too with full stenciling.

Overall, I say go for it. With a little work, a stunning model will result.

Hopefully, here are a few photos of one I am building at the moment...The second one will end up as a Mk XVI low back if all goes to plan!

Regards;
Steve

Picture014_zpsd40ad82b.jpg

SpitfireXVI_zpsdcc59259.jpg