Mig wheel bay colours?

rohan

Is the wheel bay colour on Mig 21s the same russian blue/green as the interior?  If so is that on all Migs? (Mig 23, Mig 25, Mig 27, Mig 29 etc) and is it the same on the Sukhoi jets?

Thanks,

Rohan

Edited by rohan

and another question, is the green colour on the shock cone and transponder and dielectric fin fairing dark green or olive drab?  To me it looks olive drab on the Czech versions but cant find a FS number (maybe cause eastern block?)

Hi mate,

Should have just emailed you!!!  ha ha

Im doing an all metal finish Czech Mig 21 MF (circa end of cold war)

All metal wheel bays too?

I'd say blu-ish grey :

MiG-21_M_Main_undercarriage_well_left_lo

For the fin fairing and nose cone, i have never seen any that look olive drab, so i'd say medium/dark green. But with the weathering, the color can get various shades of green :

MiG-21MF-Slovak-AF-1209-detail.jpg

Edited by Zero77

Yes, you can find some close hues in the WW2 japanese color range, or even some FS.

I believe Akan produce this color.

But anyway, nobody will be comparing the green you've used with a real soviet color paint chip. And on the picture, you can barely see exactly the same color on each aircraft.

Yep, the greens used on the intake cone and fins can vary from plane to plane, so you might just want to match up a color photo, and call it a day. I used a Gunze green on mine that I liked very much.

and another question, is the green colour on the shock cone and transponder and dielectric fin fairing dark green or olive drab?  To me it looks olive drab on the Czech versions but cant find a FS number (maybe cause eastern block?)

Here are several pictures I took in early nineties

13.jpg

8-1.jpg

25.jpg

20.jpg

It´a pitty there are not clearly seen into wheelbays. But they were mostly painted someting like RLM 02. Some planes had darker and others had lighter shade. No matter it was camouflaged, grey or bare metal scheme.

Nose cone wasn´t olive drab but it was qute bright green and nearly gloss color as it is seen on pictures above

Also note some aircraft were bare metal, but several were painted by silver paint

Hope it helps you

Ive used a Tamiya spray pack Haze Grey.  I also think Humbrol 145 would be a good match too.   Perfect match I think.  Humbrol 30 for the green.  Thanks guys.

Ive also just realised I need Czech stencil data.  Does anyone do a stencil sheet for the Czech mig 21?

Ive used a Tamiya spray pack Haze Grey.  I also think Humbrol 145 would be a good match too.   Perfect match I think.  Humbrol 30 for the green.  Thanks guys.

Ive also just realised I need Czech stencil data.  Does anyone do a stencil sheet for the Czech mig 21?

Tally-Ho, and even if they do not exist anymore, there still are some sheets in stock at hannants'.

Hurry up if you want one, i think they are the last ones on Earth...

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TYS32011

Edited by Zero77

Anyone got a colour guide for a R-60 APHID?  I have the Zacto ones.  Im putting on dual launch rails with centreline and wing drop tanks as my loadout on my Czech Mig 21.

I need a painting guide for the R-60s as I dont have one