Worst fitting kits

csavaglio

The Mig-15 topic got me wondering since other expressed other kits that fit worse.  I don't usually post gossipy, open ended question topics, but I'd love to know what kits to avoid like the plague......

What the worst fitting kits you've ever had the pleasure of building/aborting?

C

Special Hobby Buffalo

Damnit don't tell me that I have the Finnish version!

Not at LSP but the Smer SM 79 is a shocking kit. At my model club we do something called "Build a *****". We bring along the worst kits we can find, put them in a hat and draw them out, then build them, bring them back judge them with a difficulty rating on the score, between 100% and 120%. I've pegged two people with Merlin kits, one with the Merlin Messerschmitt Bf 162 and the other with the Ki 32 Mary, from the emails I got from these guys, apparently they are really bad models :)

The Mig-15 topic got me wondering since other expressed other kits that fit worse.  I don't usually post gossipy, open ended question topics, but I'd love to know what kits to avoid like the plague......

What the worst fitting kits you've ever had the pleasure of building/aborting?

C

Whilst I'd agree those MiG15/17 kits fit badly they're often on $6US.  For that price I feel almost compelled not to complain about quality.  Great kits for some kids gift or having fun with your own kids.

I'm not so keen on the 1/24 Airfix 190A.  Sloppy parts fit where an error is really easy to make in your final gluing position of individual pieces  leading every subsequent piece to be progressively worse.

Then again, when its starts going pear shaped I guess I look on it like a skill building exercise...or I relegate it to the shelf of doom. 

I think something awfully challenging to get right can be a source of fun at times.  Depends on ones preferences and mood of course. 

Matty

For me, since returning to the hobby 2 years ago - the Revell 32 scale JU88, the original without bombs.  The worse kit I have experienced of the 16 built in that time for engineering and fit.

Hrmmmm............I have 1 of these for my Mistel conversion...........that is the very 1st time I have heard that from anyone.  :hmmm: I have up until now heard the exact opposite re:fit.

My picky two cents:

For fit of LSPs, I tend to stay away from any short run kits (special hobby, Czech model), matchbox, and also most revell kits. Most (newer) revell kits aren't terrible on the fit but the plastic they use to mold the parts is the absolute worst in my opinion, which makes it far too easy to good up or mar the parts big time.

I hate the fit on the 1/24 airfix mosquito - in that it will not fit on my shelf! ...Actual kit is fine :-)