Hobbycraft Mig 15

TwoHands

Let's play     "3 Guess's and the First One Doesn't Count" 

Congratulations           You are a WINNER     Two Hands

Johnny let's see what  TwoHands has won!!!!

A 2month supply of..................Grinding plastic ........Puttying GAPS...... Polishing glass ......and a Block of birch to whittle a

MIG-15

Sorry............left the cap off the liquid cement                                    Jack

Edited by marauderdriver

Don't let them discourage you. Its a truly awful kit, but with a lot of work, a corrected squadron canopy,AMS or Black Box cockpit, it can be done. Just be prepared by keeping a lot of dollars handy for the swear jar.

He's right in that the HC boxes have decent and interesting decals.

The plastic is the same though.

Chris

What 1/32 can you buy all day long brand new from retailers for 17 bucks (scale hobbyist and others......)?  You get what you pay for.

Scribed detail is very heavy and inconsistent, detail is soft and iffy in a lot places (well, anywhere there should be detail), the windscreen shape and framing is completely made up (they added an entire pane of plexiglass!!!!), and worst of all, I can't think of a single kit in any scale or genre that has worse fit.

Yes, oh yes, it is truly awful.  Ask any of us poor souls who built it.

That said, going by the amount of hours required / cost of the kit ratio, it really can't be beat.  Heck what other kit can you spend $11 on (if you search around a little) and spend endless hours curled up in the corner of your hobby room questioning where there's a god?

I'll put it this way, I've aquired 4 or 5 of the Mig-15/17 kits over the years.....I got one at a local kit auction for 5 bucks that had no less than 3 complete kits in the box..... and I still picked up a Horizon vacuform Mig-15 with the thought that it'd be easier to build.

Chris

Edited by csavaglio

I personally don't think its that bad, I built it a few years ago in a natural metal & red scheme (its probably on LSP somewhere in the forums) & don't have many nightmares about it.

Just started building another one with the AMS cockpit (nice bit of resin) & again my test fitting show its doable - I've definitely had worse fitting kits including some a lot newer than the Mig-15.

Buy it, build it & enjoy................... it will take a little more work than a Tamiya Spitfire but we are modellers after all & that's what we do :-)

Happy modelling, Martin

It sure needs a lot of attention, loving care and filler, but I definitely had kits far worse than the Trump MiG-15/17s in my hands. Especially when it comes to fit.

Certainly not a good kit, but not as bad as some describe it.

Speaking of the devil, I got an email for Squadron's current sale....the Mig-15 is marked down to $14 and the Mig-17 is $11........ 

The good thing about the Mig-15 is that there are some good decal sheets out there for it and you should still be able to get the corrected vac canopy.