British Phantoms

joe

I'm so happy that you've addressed the vents on top and buttom of the intake. Often ignored on drawings of the British Phantom. I think it's quite easy to spot that the vents AND the splitter plates are wider on British Phantoms (see picture in post #26), when compared to their J79 cousins. This feature was not captured by the Wild Hare conversion. Hasegawa has captured this on their 1/48 kits.

I really hope that we will have a kit or conversion for the British Phantoms SOON!!!

(-: Roy

Edited by Roy Noras

I was lucky enough to have a volunteer at Duxford (thank you Michael!) measure the intake ramps of both the F-4J and FGR2 on display at the museum.

I hope the annotated photo is clear enough. Note the curved ramp leading edge dimensions are taken to theoretical fixed points for ease of measurement

and all data points are indicated by yellow dots. I should also add that the perforations on moving ramp 2 are to a different pattern to GE J79 intakes.

FGR2intakerampannotated_zps53e757e6.jpg

Edited by Chek

I think I feel another FGR coming on. With all the new (at least to me) information in recent weeks on LSP, and another set of burner cans already built, a definite case (medically speaking) of the well-known syndrome of "FGR Compulsion", is a real possibility. In order to clarify the diagnosis, I may have to dig out the remaining virgin F-4 ----

Frank Mitchell

I was lucky enough to have a volunteer at Duxford (thank you Michael!) measure the intake ramps of both the F-4J and FGR2 on display at the museum.

I hope the annotated photo is clear enough. Note the curved ramp leading edge dimensions are taken to theoretical fixed points for ease of measurement

and all data points are indicated by yellow dots. I should also add that the perforations on moving ramp 2 are to a different pattern to GE J79 intakes.

Fantastic Check - another piece of the puzzle confirmed (thank you so much for publishing these details, I really appreciate it).

Cheers

Derek

Excellent information :goodjob: this helps sort out several of the conundrums involving the ramps and intake.

I need to adjust the fixed and variable ramp heights and widths on my intake.

The perforation patterns will take some serious thinking!!

Thanks Chek  :bow:

Barry

Excellent information :goodjob: this helps sort out several of the conundrums involving the ramps and intake.

I need to adjust the fixed and variable ramp heights and widths on my intake.

The perforation patterns will take some serious thinking!!

Thanks Chek  :bow:

Barry

You are doing a seriously fantastic job with your reworking of the F-4J kit - it will form a great deal of the knowledge that I need so I am very grateful to both you and everyone else who is providing data and information to us in order to produce the best British Phantom conversion kit ever.

Derek

Barry, to echo Derek - you're doing seriously fantastic work with your reworking of the F-4J kit. Bravo!

Several years ago, I looked into bespoke photo etch for the intake ramps before deciding that (at the time, and for the scale) half-tone (the dot print patterns used in printing) decals were the way to go.

However technology and capability marches on and the definition of photo etch or laser etching may now be up to scratch - I dunno!

I throw these  suggestions out as ideas, nothing more.

Great info. The width of the ramp at point E and F is different as well. The British ones are wider.

Do you have measurements of the width?

(-: Roy

Wow! I've *never* heard of their being any difference in the ramps on the Spey birds. Interesting..

Can you post a photo showing the difference in the pattern of bleed holes between the two??

J

I had not heard either. A couple of the measurements are 6" or better. We should be able to see the difference. I will be doing a lot of comparing with the full size F-4C we have at the 8th AF Museum here.

Barry

Sorry Roy, I don't have that one as I didn't want to push things by having Mike get too acrobatic.

I reckoned any additional data required could be calculated closely enough, with the angles being fairly true.

Barry - take care that the measurements are in cm, the greatest 6cm difference amounting to 2.36 in.

And lastly for Jennings, the bleed hole patterns below.

F-4intakecomparison2a_zps64fba7f9.jpg

Edited by Chek

First, I want to add my thanks to all of those who have contributed to this conversation. They have added a lot I didn't know about the FGR (I apologize for continuing to use the "FGR" -- old habits [and old modelers] are hard to change).

Since, in a period of boredom last summer, I made up a new set of burner cans, hopefully a little nicer than the last ones, I am beginning to feel the stirrings of another FGR. May have to go downstairs and find the virgin F-4J kit.

If I fail in resisting this urge, I will try to take notes so that I can modify my building series to reflect all this information. I will, that is, unless a new kit is announced (or unless there is a great outburst of "who cares"). However, I thought that new kit announcement would occur years ago, so who knows?

Anyway, keep the Good Stuff coming ----------

Frank Mitchell