Jeff Herne

1/24 Fokker D.VIII

I have the old (1994) 1/24 Marco Miniatures kit of the Fokker D.VIII, half vac, half resin, half metal, half wood...(ok, so I'm no good at math)  :mental:

dVIII.jpg

Since this GB ends at the end of this month, I thought I'd try to crank this one out...I'm not really in the mood to 'assemble' a kit, rather, I feel like fabricating...so this seems like a good choice.

I'll upload photos tomorrow, but as of tonight, I've flat-sanded each of the wheel halves, sanded and glued the wing together, and the aileron cutouts are faced in and filled. Tomorrow starts work on the fuselage frame, engine, etc.

So...count me in...

Jeff

Update: A good friend of mine learned I was starting this model, and informed me of how badly he wanted one...so, I swapped him for a bunch of A-7E resin bits.

So...instead of 1/24 Fokker D.VIII from Marco, its a 1/32 Fokker D.VIII from Avia!

Stay tuned.

Jeff

Cool project Jeff...but you better get cracky, however, if you complete this in a month you'll be my new hero. I can't even finish sanding off all the putty on Mig and it's going on 7 months :(

So...instead of 1/24 Fokker D.VIII from Marco, its a 1/32 Fokker D.VIII from Avia!

Cool I have that kit. Its actually a decent little kit.....................and WAY (sorry Stephen but its way true) better than the Battle Axe offering.

Simple kit but might need a new AM engine?

Edited by Out2gtcha

I did the engine last night - it was a tad finicky but turned out okay. The wing however, was a bear. It's a recessed two-part wing and the recesses didn't line up...

But the wing is puttied up and drying, the cockpit floor and interior is painted, and I'm waiting on the wood grain oil-paint to set up before I proceed with assembling the fuselage...

Now...my question...do I prime the fuselage before I lay the lozenge decals over it, or do I drop them onto the bare plastic? Hmmm...

Pics to follow...

Jeff

Now...my question...do I prime the fuselage before I lay the lozenge decals over it, or do I drop them onto the bare plastic? Hmmm...

ID say it depends on which lozenge decals you have............if you want the super brighter look I might go w/some Tamiya find white primer for a nice color base.............if not and your going muted colors anyway, since its IM and not resin, I might shoot a coat of base paint under the lozenge decals just to get nice opaque base down

That's what I'm thinking, too...I sanded the wing down tonight, what a mess...but its smooth as a baby's ass and I've rescribed the lines. I messed around with the interior wood grain and that looks pretty good, now I just need to shoot some photos and start working on the cockpit cage.

J

Ok, I give up...the kit wins (for now)...the fuselage parts simply don't line up and it's got me frustrated. I finally get the halves together and the top part of the fuselage where the MGs are located is about an 1/8th inch too narrow. Can't squeeze the fuselage together because the circular firewall prevents it.

Back in the box before I throw a tantrum.

Jeff