Hasegawa 1/16 sopwith camel

simmo

Just got mine :) . Has anybody started one and if so have they found any problems or got any tips. Im thinking of trying to do a bit of the covering on it, Has anybody tried it? Thought about using tissue and dope but not sure if it will work.

I haven't gotten one, but I built the Contact Resine 1/24 Hansa Brandenburg a while back.  It used laser cut wood frames covered with tissue/silkspan.  I didn't use dope, but I used carpenters glue....Elmer's Wood Glue, as I recall....thinned with water into the consistency of whole milk.  I brushed it on and once dried, it gave a fairly durable finish that took paint just fine and even stayed reasonably transparent when held to the light.

Chris

In the olden days (I just turned 73) when I built the 1/48 scale Renwall kits which were plastic and had a precolored paper which I believe was like silkspan I used liquid plastic glue to affix the simulated fabric.  You might want to take a look at Tamiya 's thin liquid glue or another similar glue

Perhaps someone can offer a suggestion what they used with their  1/16 scale Hasegawa Wright Flyer kit which had a paperlike covering.

I've read of a product called RICE PAPER  which I plan to check out. The only hobby store in the Harrisburg Pennsylvania area deals mostly with flying models.  I plan to check to see what they have to offer.

It's been years since I have used silkspan. I feel after it's placed on the model it could be sprayed with an acrylic sealer.  Several manufacturers off varnishes then I'd follow with an acrylic PC10 or PC12 and buff underside.

You can have fun creating your own PC color like was done in 1917-1918.  Early PC tended to be greener than the later PC which had more of a brown tone. 

Edited by JimReagan

Hi, thanks for the pointers. will have a look into them all, Im just plucking up courage to start the kit!  Is there any aftermarket stuff for it yet? Thinking about things like turnbuckles and lap straps.