Monogram 1/48 P-40 Rebuild

LSP_Kevin

You pose a good question on the usage of yellow on the prop blades Kevin. I'll betcha fightnjoe can shed some light on this as he does alot of research on the aircraft he builds and right now he's building that P-40 he's been working on for a bit. I'm really looking forward to your take on this awesome aircraft.

Edited by mustang1989

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin while my response is strictly my opinion on the matter, it would seem that early on there were a lot of aircraft that did not have the tips of the props painted any color.  I have noticed some had a late, between the wars, blue/red/white set of bands but there were some that had nothing.  I would guess that if the painting guide does not have them you might give a quick look on google/bing/your choice of search engine, and see if there is something of use.  I have done a couple of early WW2 birds that all pictures found show nothing.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. I honestly can't even remember if I ended painting the prop tips or not! I guess I'll leave them as they are, whichever is the case. And I guess I should also figure out where the hell I stashed the thing, and drag it back out again!

Kev

• 11 months later...

Hello Kevin,

I came across this thread while searching the internet about the P-40B and the cockpit set which you used by the Legend company.  It interested me a great deal.  I have just purchased a Monogram P-40B and the Legend cockpit set (no instructions).  I joined here to perhaps learn more of the final outcome on your P-40 "refurbishing."  I am especially interested in how that cockpit set worked out for you as you approached completion.  Would love to hear the final story.

John aka CanyonHopper

Hi John,

Firstly, welcome aboard!

:post1:

As far as the P-40 build goes, it never really got much beyond what you see here, and is currently tucked away in a box, waiting for me to return to it. And return to it I will! I just have no idea when.

I did quite like the Legend cockpit, however, as it provides a much better result than the decades-old kit parts.

Thanks for the prompt! I'm off to see where I left that box...

Kev

HI and happy to see such a quick reply!

I have read everything in this 7 page thread.  Kevin, you have done some very good work here.  I obviously like the P-40 aircraft.  I must warn all who might read this.... this is my first plastic kit buy, it will be my first build.  I don't know much about doing things, but I am determined to learn the how to's.  I have jumped in with both feet.  Bought two airbrushes, tons of paint, files, rifflers, sanding sticks, putty, etc., etc.  Now, I will march upwards on that learning curve / slope and the P-40 is what I have chosen to reach a finished model that may not be a show winner. but will make me happy and pleased to gaze at it.  Great to be here!

CanyonHopper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...