Tamiya Corsair - FAA markings

LSP_Ron

Great question! Do I add them or not? the AM decal instructions are not clear on this. 

Go ahead and add them. Vought and Brewster were still putting them on Corsairs going up to the advent of the 3 tone "Norfolk Scheme" on the Navy ones and possibly beyond that.  Pretty sure but not positive Goodyear started off with them too. Just to be sure i'm gonna double check my references.

david

Edited by David Hansen

Well I've started the weathering process. I am not using any panel line washes this time, which is a first for me. I am sticking with pastels and so far I like the look. Oil wash for the oil stains and I'll likely dirty up the wing walk area with oil paint as this was a dirty bird. Almost time for final assembly

P2010035_zpsdd08ce37.jpg

P2010036_zpsc15b7b55.jpg

P2010037_zpsd56fd60a.jpg

Thanks,

A small update, been slowing weathering and adding chipping and bits and pieces. Taking my time with it. I must have messed up the assembly of the engine and cowl because I still have a nasty gap at the top of the cowl and the fuse. I've already added a piece of .020" card stock. It's a complicated and fiddly bit to assemble and ensure it's all orientated correctly. Looks like I got it wrong.  I taped over the guns with thin strips of Tamyia tape painted white.

P2030045_zps1984f5a6.jpg

P2030046_zps1e3866ff.jpg

P2030048_zps5b2b9449.jpg

P2030050_zps7241696b.jpg

P2030051_zps66efc354.jpg

Thanks guys 

Here are some snaps of the other side. I think this might just be Tamiya's best effort at a 1/32 aircraft kit. It is extremely well detailed out of box. It even has most hose attachment points to plumb all the hydraulic if one want's to. And it does take some time to build, unless your name is John :DodgeBall:

P2030052_zps0babb39d.jpg

P2030054_zpsb4e25a88.jpg

P2030055_zps939fe510.jpg

P2030056_zps03811b59.jpg

Looking very good Ron, I like it!  Bummer about the gap with the cowl, I will be certain to watch out for that on mine.  I hadn't considered using painted Tamiya tape for the gun cover tape, looks good in the photo.  Any chance of a closer shot of that?

Ron, that looks amazing!

I had no idea Corsairs were painted that way, and your freehand camo is just flawless.  Your painting details are impressive, weathering, oil stains, exhaust stacks and chipping just to name a few.   Very very nice!!!  I've never gloss coated for decals and then dull coated over them, sure blends things together nicely,  I may have to try that on my Mustang IV build.