1/32nd scale HK B-17G - (very) nearly there...

tomprobert

I resisted for as long as possible, but upon entering Hannant's warehouse earlier this week I couldn't hold out any longer... for a B-17 nut seeing a pile of the new HK Models' 1/32nd scale kit resistance was futile smile.png

After all, my 1/32nd B-29 needs some company...

Obligatory box shots:

S1030141.jpg

S1030144.jpg

I plan to build this pretty much out of the box, with the only enhancements being good old fashioned plastic card and some imagination. Also, after forking out £200+ for a kit, my wallet (or my wife's patience) won't stretch much further - especially when seeing the price of the aftermarket goodies.

Although the colour scheme provided in the kit is attractive (the 447th Bomb Group's "Milk Wagon" with the bright yellow tail feathers of the 3rd Combat Wing) I don't fancy natural metal so I am going to do an olive drab over neutral grey aircraft from the 306th Bomb Group based at Thurleigh towards the end of the war.

"You can't build a camouflaged B-17 from this kit" I hear you say... well all will be revealed as the build progresses. 

I'm a teacher on half term next week so stay tuned for some regular updates.

I can't wait to get cracking on what seems to be a stunning kit of my favourite aircraft.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Can't wait for you to dig in and  get going. Looking forward to following along and enjoying your build.

Keep 'em coming'

:popcorn: :popcorn:

You can't build a camouflaged B-17 from this kit" I hear you say...

Yes, yes you can....  You can build one of 224 Douglas built B-17's that were OD/NG with the pumpkin turret and staggered waist windows. 

Me too, I'm watching this with enthusiasms.  I'm too up the creek to build mine right now.

Tom,

Great project, but err does that mean the Halifax is on the backburner?

Cees

Don't worry Cees, the Halifax will be slowly progressing too. It just makes a nice change to build something from the box rather than the endless scratch work that goes with the big vacs!

Yes, yes you can....  You can build one of 224 Douglas built B-17's that were OD/NG with the pumpkin turret and staggered waist windows. 

Me too, I'm watching this with enthusiasms.  I'm too up the creek to build mine right now.

Indeed Tim, and although this will be a Doulgas built bird (B-17G - 30 - DL - 42-31829) it'll not be of the batch you mention, in fact she'll be 'Skipper' of the 367th Bomb Squadron, 306th Bomb Group based at Thurleigh. 

The reason I have chosen this aircraft is it was camouflaged and had the staggered waist guns as in the HK kit - I researched and posted this aircraft when we were all discussing the OD/NG options for the HK release. It did originally have the earlier B-17F type 'stinger' tail turret, but due to severe damage sustained in November 1944 received a natural metal 'Cheyenne' turret, as well as a new starboard stabiliser and elevator, tail fin and chin turret, which were all left in natural metal - a bit of a patchwork. I thought the contrast between the new parts and the old, weathered olive drab and neutral grey paint would make it an eye catching model.

This picture of 'Skipper' is courtesy of the 306thBG website, and is used for illustrative purposes only:

B173bis.jpg

I've made some progress today on the model, and have started with the area under the flightdeck, where the forward entry hatch for the crew will be displayed in the open position. There is no detailing on these parts, so I felt it would be good to add some of my own... and I said earlier this was going to be an OOB project!

Here are the kit parts - the flightdeck floor and the forward bulkhead:

S1030146.jpg

Using pictures from my flight on Yankee Lady, I have made an attempt to build the framework seen under the floor and on the bulkhead. Evergreen strip and plastic card were used here:

S1030148.jpg

S1030152.jpg

A peep through the door shows things look a little busier now:

S1030154.jpg

Here I have applied aluminium paint (contrary to popular belief, B-17s were predominantly natural metal inside):

S1030158.jpg

I've also given this area a dark enamel wash to dirty it up a little, after all this B-17 was a veteran of over 100 missions:

S1030160.jpg

Tomorrow I'm planning to crack on with the flightdeck itself, as well as the forward bulkhead. Looking at the parts in the kit, no extra work will be needed there!

Tom