FLYING - Flying Fortress after the "Flak-Kat"

marauderdriver

Please see the LAST comment  Page 15 for more information                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        YES I know  another B -17

BUT------ MINE IS DIFFERENT-------IT'S FLYING !!!!!!!!!!!!

OK here is my version of this cool bomber

Milk Wagon--cause nobody uses kit decals--- do they?

Aluminum Foil  NMF finish

Wheels up

Bomb doors open

BOMBS AWAY ---- bombs mounted to the stand 

Number 3 prop feathered

No aftermarket parts------- all scratchbuilt "imagineered" details

I lied--- there are no P/E parts but,

10 crewmen.thanks to MASTER DETAILS  1/32 USAAF COLD WEATHER FIGHTER PILOT

I hope this will keep someones interest for awhile. as I will need support to manage all that foil,but not my first "FOILRODEO"IMAG0741.jpg

Edited by marauderdriver

IMAG0075.jpgIMAG0098.jpg                           I have been watching several wips  and B-17 fourms and have learned ALOT.

I build most of my aircraft "FLYING" so this was a no-brainer for me as I had a MASTER DETAIL pilot and knew I could crew this beast

I bought this at the NATS in Colorado and could see it in my mind-----and my mind BENT.

Some of the modifications came from this site and were very educational.

First up is the nose and a bombardier-------- How does a bombardier bend over a bombsight in all of flying gear,50cal ammo belt and something that the 

others haven't mentioned the bombsight and mount and chin turret sight are KINDA NASTY.IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0037.jpgIMAG0044.jpg                                                 Saw these modifications in the Squadron Walk Around with the plexiglass floor and the base of the bombardiers seat,

•                                              and thought they were cool.IMAG0021.jpg

Great job on the foiling.  The wash you put on really brings the surface to life.  I'm foiling my interiors as well but I've read where the longerons were painted with a zinc chromate solution.  It breaks up the surface very nicely along with the wash.  That's not a criticism since there were so many different interior surface schemes that almost anything is valid--except purple.  There were no B-17s with a purple interior.  

DANG I just finished custom blending my PURPLE interior color............

Thank you for your kind words    I have not washed this yet because I have to make a ceiling and frame detail before I finish foiling it.IMAG0227.jpgIMAG0220.jpg

It still looks really lifelike even though you didn't put a wash on yet.  I just got done foiling one side of the waist section and am now painting the longerons a variation of the zinc chromate solution.  It takes a while but it really looks a heck of a lot better than painting it silver.  The silver would still be correct because I had read that at least one factory used an aluminum paint for a number of areas including the landing gear.  The good thing about using the foil is that nothing looks like real metal other than real metal.  

"BROTHER YOU SAID A MOUTHFUL"

I'am old and I love NMF aircraft and tried seriously for several years with all types of NMF voodoo!!!!

Everyone told me they looked GREAT.... I thought they "LOOKED LIKE SILVER PAINT"

My first foil job was on a 21st Century Toy P-47  from Wally World and I knew I had found NERVANA

Thanks Again  

Jack

No problem, Jack.  I'm still going to be a little shy showing my work because I'm still thinking of adding more stuff to the insides.  One of the biggest problem I've had with silver paint or metallic paints in general (and believe me I've tried quite a few brands and not with the best results)  is that the metal particles in the paint are just too dang big with most brands.  I'm not using an airbrush in many cases because the areas I'm working with are too small.  The usual results I get with these paints looks like I've been working with 1/8 scale glitter.  For a really good spray finish over larger areas and such I've been using Model Master's buffing metallizer and finishing it off with the old SNJ powder rubbed into the surface.  I can get a shine from dead flat all the way to chrome but with that technique and the kit's interior it would be like trying to polish a Belgian waffle with  Simonize Wax.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.  

Awesome start!

Will be following this build for sure :thumbsup: !

Thanks Showtime.......I've seen you on some other posts and am looking forward to your comments and Please be honest and tell me what you really see.

That is the only way I can improve my skills.

Thanks Jack

Edited by LSP_Kevin

No problem, Jack.  I'm still going to be a little shy showing my work because I'm still thinking of adding more stuff to the insides.  One of the biggest problem I've had with silver paint or metallic paints in general (and believe me I've tried quite a few brands and not with the best results)  is that the metal particles in the paint are just too dang big with most brands.  I'm not using an airbrush in many cases because the areas I'm working with are too small.  The usual results I get with these paints looks like I've been working with 1/8 scale glitter.  For a really good spray finish over larger areas and such I've been using Model Master's buffing metallizer and finishing it off with the old SNJ powder rubbed into the surface.  I can get a shine from dead flat all the way to chrome but with that technique and the kit's interior it would be like trying to polish a Belgian waffle with  Simonize Wax.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.  

I understand about showing work....This is my first WIP post and am a little nervous about my skills being up to snuff.

Used metaliziers with some success,but I just couldn't see past it looking like paint,so hear we are.

" Like trying to polish a Belgian waffle with Simonize Wax"

PRICELESS