Modifications/Upgrades: 1/32 Revell Bristol Beaufighter!!

Artful69

AFAIK what is/was available:

- small Eduard photoetched fret for the cockpit (in the Lodela edition)

- vacformed angled stabs, torpedo and canopy (ditto)

- Vector engines

- Quickboost exhausts

- Craftworks access ladder and exhausts (far from terrific)

- MDC rockets

- ADH and Aviaelogy decals

I would like to know if anything else has been available... any insight?

Thierry

Gentlemen ...

I get home from a rather full-on day at work ... and I cannot believe the disaster area that awaits me on my own thread!! ... I am in disbelief - as a 14 year old girl (who didn't know what a Beaufighter was - until I gave her a look at the kit!!) ... was able to rifle through sprues ... spend a couple of hours on Google (in order to get up to speed on comparitive detailing/variants etc) ... and provide to me, as per instructions ... and I Quote:

• "List the 6 (ONLY 6) main areas you would like to see detailed AM for on the market
  • The REALISTIC retail pricing that you would be both expecting AND willing to pay for those items (individually!)"

I'm am realy trying not to be rude about this, believe me! I AM after feedback - but a very PRECISE kind of feedback ... at least as far as this thread is concerned ... I gave very specific guidelines in the original post as to what I wanted to see posted here ... and what I did NOT want to see posted here ... I even gave you an "out" (by sending me a PM) if you wanted to elaborate or qualify your posts beyond a certain point.

Seriously guys ... I am gutted ... beyond disappointment actually!! ... surely a few simple guidelines are easy to follow??

1 complete set, with everything included to make a good stab at a Mk X. With decals. I wouldn't buy it if the quality was any less then pretty flipping good, however cheap. I'd be happy to pay a sizeable price if the quality was top notch. Think Fisher. It irritates me to have to buy a dozen different sets, one for an undercarriage bay set, one for a rudder, one for an engine and so on. Stick it all in one set, no-one is fooled by buying lots of small priced sets, we can all add up to see what the final project will cost, and I'd rather save on the post and packiaging buy buying one product.

Price? Driven, and justified by the Quality. I'd be happy to pay £150 if it was top quality. I wouldn't pay £10 if it was rubbish.

Tim

PS but I'd rather see a completely new kit of course! We've seen several popular types revisited, so why not a new Beaufighter? Make a change from more Bf109s!

A complete set of what exactly??? ... The very reason for asking for specific items, was to avoid this kind of vague meandering ...

AND so that I can gather the raw data that I need to!

Ok, so you would like a Mk.X - that's fine with me! ... who builds one currently in IM or resin in 1/32 ??? ... Right!

So THIS post is about modifying the current Revell kit.

If you would like to modify it into a Mk.X ... then list the top six components that would help you achieve that (if possible to do) as per the above!! ... See - simple!!

Then give me expected retail prices of those items individually (as per the above request) - even using a bracketed range if you like ... You could even add the caveat at the bottom of the page saying something like:

"I would however be more inclined to purchase a complete set of these at $XX.xx ... and that would be subject to the quality of the items"

Sorry Tim, I really am ... but so far this post is almost irrelevant to me!!

Our very own Derek Bradshaw has had some bits in the works for a while now. S.E.A. theater for me.

... again I Quote:

"What this thread is NOT about:

• Lessons or instructions about the art of ‘real modeling' … Scratch builders, with all due respect to your talent, this post is probably not for you.
  • Referal to completed builds in other threads … or show-n-tell about what someone else has already put together.
  • Reference to the old ‘Vac form' stuff or AM already available out there – most of us wanting to build the Beau' know that it exists already – if you can find it to get your hands on and if you are willing to pay the, oftimes, extortionate pricing that it demands (especially for what it is!)."

... and ...

"… so please don't bother referring in your posts to anyone else you might know who has something in the wind – just yet!! …"

AFAIK what is/was available:

- small Eduard photoetched fret for the cockpit (in the Lodela edition)

- vacformed angled stabs, torpedo and canopy (ditto)

- Vector engines

- Quickboost exhausts

- Craftworks access ladder and exhausts (far from terrific)

- MDC rockets

- ADH and Aviaelogy decals

I would like to know if anything else has been available... any insight?

Thierry

... and again ... I Quote:

"What this thread is NOT about:

• Lessons or instructions about the art of ‘real modeling' … Scratch builders, with all due respect to your talent, this post is probably not for you.
  • Referal to completed builds in other threads … or show-n-tell about what someone else has already put together.
  • Reference to the old ‘Vac form' stuff or AM already available out there – most of us wanting to build the Beau' know that it exists already – if you can find it to get your hands on and if you are willing to pay the, oftimes, extortionate pricing that it demands (especially for what it is!)."

----------------------------------------------

To the general forum: Please people, PLEASE! ... if you are at all unsure about what I am asking for on this thread ... re-read the original post - and then, if still unsure about what it is, exactly, that I am after ... feel free to PM me and ask before posting! ... really ... it is not that hard!!! ... so far, out of 12 posts (2 by the same guy who got it right both times) - I have 7 lots of usable data and of those - only 4 are completed!! (well done Dan!! - 2 for 2 on both counts!)

Very frustrated!

Rog :(

Edited by Artful69

I want to a 1/32 DAP Mk 21 Beaufighter. To that end I would like to see these items:

Angled tailplane conversion - $25-30

Mk 21 Sperry nose bulge - $5-10

Detailed front cockpit and canopy- $40-50

Detailed undercarriage units, including wheels, legs AND the doors - $40-50

Cowl rings with moulded in exhaust pipes- $20

Dropped flaps- $30

Overall I would like to pay no more than $150 in extras but could stretch. I have 2 or 3 of the kits in my stash.

Cheers

Tony

I want to a 1/32 DAP Mk 21 Beaufighter. To that end I would like to see these items:

Angled tailplane conversion - $25-30

Mk 21 Sperry nose bulge - $5-10

Detailed front cockpit and canopy- $40-50

Detailed undercarriage units, including wheels, legs AND the doors - $40-50

Cowl rings with moulded in exhaust pipes- $20

Dropped flaps- $30

Overall I would like to pay no more than $150 in extras but could stretch. I have 2 or 3 of the kits in my stash.

Cheers

Tony

Wow Tony ... Thankyou!! :bow:

thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!! ... :D

that has truely made my evening ... now if everyone can continue on in this vein - things will go smoothly indeed!! ...

Tell me Tony ... about how long did it take you to think through and make that post?

Rog :)

Rog-

Been contemplating this very subject for awhile, and agree there could be more out there for this old girl- In order of importance- (Want to build a Mk. VI and a DAP 21-)

1) General cockpit- baseline details included with perhaps detailed descriptions of the various differences between the major marks that the modeler could add on their own. Set could include decent fitting tub and rear bulkhead, generic instrument panel, general sidewall details comman to all marks, and seat assembly with harness- $25-35 dollar range

2) Radar Operator/Observer/gunner station, with floor section, seat, radio/radar panels, sidewalls, gun mount?- Drop fit into fuselage shells- $25-35 dollar range

3) Angled tailplanes- $20-35 dollar range

4) Undercarriage bays- Drop fit replacements for the Revell parts- $25-30 dollar range

5) Wheels/Tires- $10-15 dollar range

6) Cowling rings with exhaust stubs. Craftworks tried this, and while somewhat successful, their casting quality was rough (It is a tough part to cast).....$25-35 dollar range

Hope this helps some-

THOR

Rog-

... Been contemplating this very subject for awhile, and agree there could be more out there for this old girl- In order of importance- (Want to build a Mk. VI and a DAP 21-) ...

... Hope this helps some ...

THOR

Thor ...

A lot of people have been saying the same thing ... but no-one has actually released anything as yet ... which is why there is a "market" for the right stuff (I was going to say "vacume" but that is too close to Vac-Form for my comfort!!) ... :D

And yes, Thor, this helps ... it helps a lot!

Thankyou :)

Rog

Ouch!!! Seems you had a bad day!

Please do not misunderstand my post. Personally I do not see the need to ask for items that are good and already available! This explains why I first asked for this. This makes sense, don't you think so?

With regard to what is really necessary...Well this is precisely what is missing:

1. a correct interior and rear station

2. good wheel wells, LG leg and wheels

I won't give a price as this depends on the degree of complexity and exhaustiveness of the set. Some people like a single part Quickboost set whereas other prefer a thirty parts Vector set. Obviously the price is different. So, for me, any option solving this would be good!

Ouch!!! Seems you had a bad day!

Please do not misunderstand my post. Personally I do not see the need to ask for items that are good and already available! This explains why I first asked for this. This makes sense, don't you think so?

With regard to what is really necessary...Well this is precisely what is missing:

1. a correct interior and rear station

2. good wheel wells, LG leg and wheels

I won't give a price as this depends on the degree of complexity and exhaustiveness of the set. Some people like a single part Quickboost set whereas other prefer a thirty parts Vector set. Obviously the price is different. So, for me, any option solving this would be good!

Thierry ...

I did not have a bad day (athough it was draining!) ... I DID have a thread that was getting bad here!! ... and that needed correcting before it got any worse!!

I understood your post very well ... it contained a list of items that I specifically said I did not want - and asked if anything else was available ... both of which had nothing to do with what I was asking for?? :huh:

Please review the posts made by: ScanmanDan, Squito2340, fightersweep, Dan (again!), spellbinder99 and bdthoresen in reference to my original post ...

THIS post still does not contain 6 specific items, with six specific (or bracketed) amounts that you would expect to pay - retail ??? :shrug:

Again Thierry, this is not hard to do ... and as I have said both in the original post AND a few subsequent posts - if you wish to place a caveat on that list about a full 'set' of corrections/quality/choice etc etc ... please do that after fulfilling the orignial requirements!!

Staggered beyond belief! ... stunned even! :wacko:

Edited by Artful69

I'm sorry but thought my comment about the price was clear.

I cannot give you a price without having at least a clue with regard to what philosophy of aftermarket item may be proposed!

I don't know what you or the others would do but I won't pay the same price for resin, white metal or brass LG legs! Similarly, I won't pay the same price for full interior half-fuselages or an addition of parts to assemble but requiring scratchbuilding the plane fuselage structure, etc.

I gave you the two families of elements I'm interesting in:

1. interior parts

2. LG parts

This may be 2 sets or 6 or 12 sets, I don't care!

For the price, it depends on many other parameters such as accuracy of the parts, fit quality, casting quality, instruction sheet clarity, protection of fragile parts in packaging and so on...

To say it short: I'll buy any good new aftermarket set for the Beau if the price is in line with all the parameters to consider!

Do not tell me you don't know that Ferrari, Mercedes and Ford have different prices!

And keep cool man.

Maybe you should conduct a poll, with prices, ask folk what their preferences would be and finally if they would be happy to pay the price quoted or not.

I do think it relevant to mention what is available out there, not much I grant you, but no point producing engines/exhausts when they're already available, unless say you do an engine set similar to Quickboosts P-47 for the Hasegawa kit.

Here's a pricelist of Paragon Mosquito parts from a few years ago;

32012 Mosquito FB VI Fighter Conv. With Full Cockpit Interior £24-99
32013 Mosquito FB XVIII 'Molins' Conv. With Full Cockpit Interior £24-99
32014 Mosquito Bomber Canopy (Teardrop Sides) £3-99
32015 Mosquito Bomber Canopy (Bulged Sides) £3-99
32016 Mosquito PR Canopy £3-99
32017 Mosquito Bulged Bomb Bay £8-50
32018 Mosquito Bulged Camera Bay £8-75
32019 Mosquito Flaps £11-99
32020 Mosquito Paddle Blade Props £5-99
32021 Mosquito 50 Gal. Drop Tanks £6-99
32022 Mosquito 100 Gal. Drop Tanks £7-99
32023 8 x RAF Rockets & Rails £12-99
32034 Mosquito 5-Spoke Bulged Wheels £7-99
32035 Mosquito Plain Hub Bulged Wheels £7-99

and sure the prices are now on the low side, but take a look at the price for P-47 tailplanes by Master Details $15.95, Su-25 wheels by Fisher $16, Sea Fury cockpit $35, if the quality is similar then so should the prices, but Tim has a point, a basic combo set - interior, u/c stuff, cowls, would be the way to go, take a look at Zactomodels Mig 29 stuff.

And chillax - don't have a cow maaaan!!! Start a new thread just with a poll.

I'm sorry but thought my comment about the price was clear ... then perhaps post a list of six items without pricing???????????

I cannot give you a price without having at least a clue with regard to what philosophy of aftermarket item may be proposed! - good idea! Which is why I asked you to list 'em!!!

I don't know what you or the others would do but I won't pay the same price for resin, white metal or brass LG legs! Similarly, I won't pay the same price for full interior half-fuselages or an addition of parts to assemble but requiring scratchbuilding the plane fuselage structure, etc. - zzzzzz irrelevant on this thread - far too complex a discussion for the raw data that I am interested in - when parts are made and marketed you either like them and buy them or you don't!

I gave you the two families of elements I'm interesting in:

1. interior parts

2. LG parts

This may be 2 sets or 6 or 12 sets, I don't care! ... not specific enough! ... 6 items - dealing with specific areas - others can do this - and obviously have!

For the price, it depends on many other parameters such as accuracy of the parts, fit quality, casting quality, instruction sheet clarity, protection of fragile parts in packaging and so on... well this is simply stating the obvious, really!

To say it short: I'll buy any good new aftermarket set for the Beau if the price is in line with all the parameters to consider! ... again: you list the items (6) , you list the prices - not hard!

Do not tell me you don't know that Ferrari, Mercedes and Ford have different prices! ... this has absolutely NOTHING to do with the thread!!

And keep cool man ... well I'm trying to!! ... and it would be easy if people would stop wrecking my thread - and published what was asked - or else not post at all!!... these posts are worthless in regard what I asked for!

Sorry ... but I have to be firm on this!!

Thanks and kind regards

Maybe you should conduct a poll, with prices, ask folk what their preferences would be and finally if they would be happy to pay the price quoted or not.

I do think it relevant to mention what is available out there, not much I grant you, but no point producing engines/exhausts when they're already available, unless say you do an engine set similar to Quickboosts P-47 for the Hasegawa kit.

Here's a pricelist of Paragon Mosquito parts from a few years ago;

32012 Mosquito FB VI Fighter Conv. With Full Cockpit Interior £24-99

32013 Mosquito FB XVIII 'Molins' Conv. With Full Cockpit Interior £24-99

32014 Mosquito Bomber Canopy (Teardrop Sides) £3-99

32015 Mosquito Bomber Canopy (Bulged Sides) £3-99

32016 Mosquito PR Canopy £3-99

32017 Mosquito Bulged Bomb Bay £8-50

32018 Mosquito Bulged Camera Bay £8-75

32019 Mosquito Flaps £11-99

32020 Mosquito Paddle Blade Props £5-99

32021 Mosquito 50 Gal. Drop Tanks £6-99

32022 Mosquito 100 Gal. Drop Tanks £7-99

32023 8 x RAF Rockets & Rails £12-99

32034 Mosquito 5-Spoke Bulged Wheels £7-99

32035 Mosquito Plain Hub Bulged Wheels £7-99

and sure the prices are now on the low side, but take a look at the price for P-47 tailplanes by Master Details $15.95, Su-25 wheels by Fisher $16, Sea Fury cockpit $35, if the quality is similar then so should the prices, but Tim has a point, a basic combo set - interior, u/c stuff, cowls, would be the way to go, take a look at Zactomodels Mig 29 stuff.

And chillax - don't have a cow maaaan!!! Start a new thread just with a poll.

Kage ...

Your first post was wonderful ... the right sort of info and straight to the point - excellent!!

This one, however, leaves a fair bit of confusion ... I don't recall asking anything about a Mosquito or a P47 - I kind of understand what you are driving at with "comparitive pricing" ... but I simply need to know what YOU would pay for the items that YOU are thinking of - not mine or anyone elses ... nor anyone elses idea of pricing.

Tim DOES have a point - just not one in anyway relevant to THIS thread ...

This thread is garnering some raw data only (hence the specifics outlined in it at the start) ... the poll will come later (already in the planning stages) and then some more complex discussions around the selected items, packaging etc ... see? so ...

I really NEED this thread to stay on topic AND stay within the parameters specified originally ... which is surely not that hard to do mate (although you'd really doubt it reading some of these responses!!)

Oh ... and by the way ... I'm chilled alright ... just stunned at peoples either lack of understanding or unwillingness to follow instructions more simple than a 10 part snap together kit!!

lmao

Edited by Artful69

Rog, about 2 minutes, mainly because I have wanted a 1/32 Mk 21 for a LONG time. Small edit, if the engine cowl rings could have the long tropical carb intakes and a set of hedgehog exhausts included as part of the package, that would be cool too.

Cheers

Tony

lol 2 mins eh?? nice if others could follow your fine example!!

- when parts are made and marketed you either like them and buy them or you don't!

:popcorn:

ps. no one has mentioned a torpedo, there's one in the Swordfish kit, but maybe you should add it to the list. Do a poll, tell us what's being considered and the projected prices?