Revell, Hasegawa and Trumpeter Me109G6s

thierry laurent

Hi,

when the Hasegawa kit was released in 2001, it was the holy Grail. When Trumpeter kit was released ten years later, it was just assessed as a down scaled copy of the "bad" 1/24th kit or it was simply ignored by many reviewers and modellers. On the other hand the Revell kit was also welcomed as the new good "kit" on the block...

To my eyes, the funniest part is probably the critical assessment of Trumpeter spinner/propeller that is notoriously reviewed as atrocious...! We will see why!

As you know, I'm writing the tweak list for the Chinese kit. As I already assessed the Japanese one some years ago (and the German one very recently), I have a reasonably good view of the contents of the three kits. Moreover, I compared recently the contents of the three boxes.

Before releasing the full list, I wanted to put some things straight with regard to this kit:

1. The 1/32 Trumpy G6 is NOT a down scaled copy of the 1/24th kit!!! Both kits have some similar errors but some noticeable issues of the large kit do not exist on the smaller one.

2. A fair comparison of the three kits results in one interesting conclusion: the Trumpeter kit is not really worse than the others from an accuracy standpoint (at least to my eyes of reviewer) and for some specific aspects it is even better than one or both other kits.

3. Dimension wise, the three kits are very, very similar. The Revell one is the best one. The two other ones have specific fuselage problems here and there (the Hasegawa kit has the drawback that the nose length error is nearly impossible to correct whereas most mods to the Chinese kit are generally quite trivial). So, it is rather easy to use the same aftermarket parts on the three kits.

3. If the Trumpy spinner is indeed atrocious (as the Hasegawa one BTW), the propeller blades are... 100% identical to the Hasegawa ones! So, it is funny to see they got so much Flak shells whereas the problem has rarely been mentioned for the Japanese counterpart ;-) The best proof is the lack of widely available aftermarket replacement parts for the Hasegawa kit (Wedgetail & Contact ones are very difficult to find). Moreover, this kit is the only 1/32 Gustav with a rather correct propeller axis and shank detail..!

4. I shall add as well that the Trumpeter offer is also the kit with the best nose oil cooler, cockpit floor fuel pump, canopy details, seat belts, pedals, throttle, exhausts, MG131 guns, MG151 pods and radiator actuators. The worst parts are easy to correct or may be replaced by cheap aftermarket alternatives  (spinner, rudder, control stick, etc.)

5. If you want to do one 109 with an opened engine, the Trumpeter kit is the best option, BTW, the Aires engine may be used without problem in the kit and without modification of the plastic bearers! The MDC DB605 may also be used but is more expensive, more difficult to assemble and will ask for more modifications.

My final conclusion:

All kits need corrections and/or some aftermarket sets to get a good result.

Revell : best choice for an OOTB assembly but has some assembly challenges. Best choice regarding the price. However, the kit needs time/money for corrections to get an accurate replica.

Trumpeter: best choice if you want a reasonably cheap kit with engraved rivets. Best choice for a detailed airframe with opened engine bay. However, the kit will also ask for aftermarket.

Hasegawa: Personally, I'd choose this kit as the last choice as it has a lot of simplified or erroneous areas, has this unfortunate length error, has nearly no option, is not really easier to build than the Trumpeter kit and is quite more expensive.

Last, for the people who have the three kits, it is possible to build a quite accurate cockpit with parts from the three kits! So personally, I'll use this approach for some of them!

Cheers.

Well, well, well ... I was thinking about a side-by-side comparrison just yesterday!!! ... so thankyou! ...

Without kitbashing (because I don't have any brand preferences) ... I have the Revell G-6, a Trumpeter G-2 and a G-10 Hasegawa ...

I have an F-6/U, K-4, F-4 on the way (Hasegawa) ... and perhaps a G-6 (as of an e-bay bid yesterday!) - it was then (and after seeing Shaky962's Trumpeter G-6 build) that I started thinking about the side-by-side comparo' ...

It seems that the rudder on the Trumpeter Bf109 kit's is the most glaring flaw! ... once noticed, it really can't be ignored.

But as for the rest - it really just seems like personal preference to me! ...

Thanks again!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Thanks - excellent info.

Maybe I missed you mentioning it, but the gun beules on the Revell Kit seem shallow to me. Is that the consensus or what ?

EDIT: Went over you Revell Tweak List again and you do mention it. Thanks

Edited by Thomas Lund

One thing though ... it seems that you didn't mention the rudder on the Trumpeter Bf109 kit's ... which for my mind seems to be the most glaring flaw! ... once noticed, it really can't be ignored. But as for the rest - it really just seems like personal preference to me! ...

Rog :)

I did! Look again at point 4...!

Do the Revell (Hasegawa) Bf 109 K-4 share the same shortcomings as the Hase G-6? I am thinking of what would be my first real 1/32 build and don't want a kit with obvious errors.

(I like the scheme on one JG 52 plane that has the red tulip nose and RLM 82 top and RLM 84 sides.)

Thanks for the comments on my build, Thierry!  I agree with your assesment that the Trumpeter kit is not as bad as many have made it out to be.  I think fit-wise the Hasegawa and Trumpeter are about on par with each other.  Having (nearly) built all three (I'm 90% complete on the Revell kit) I'd rate them in this order:

1.  Hasegawa: Yes, the fuselage scales out a bit short but it's really not that noticable to my eye.  I can get by with just a replacement spinner and otherwise it looks pretty darn good on the shelf.  The fit is and engineering is outstanding and it generally requires little to no filler.  I know price is a consideration, especially for those of you in Europe but here in Japan I can pick them up in the $30-35 US range.

2.  Trumpeter:  Overall good, but will require more work and/or after-market to get up to speed.  Spinner, wheels, control surface detail and rudder are all weak points.  Trumpeter is the only one of the three who portray the cowl covers correctly and this looks better and simplifies assembly.  Fit is also very good on this kit.  I purchased two G-6s on sale from Squadron for $25 which is a great price, I will probably purchase more if I can get them at this price.

3.  Revell:  Great kit marred by engineering decisions.  I know Revell plans to get multiple variants out of the kit, but things like the two part upper wings, cockpit fit, tail arrangement and the cowl panel layout make for a more difficult build than the other two.  They got the spinner shape right too but the level of detail is lacking and split layout will probably drive most people to use a replacement.  The Beule will need to be replaced as well.  The price will entice many people though and I think my next build of this one will go easier if the assembly sequnce is altered a bit.

Bottom line, you have three pretty solid kits that will build up nicely although we're still waiting for Tamiya-like quality.

Do the Revell (Hasegawa) Bf 109 K-4 share the same shortcomings as the Hase G-6? I am thinking of what would be my first real 1/32 build and don't want a kit with obvious errors.

(I like the scheme on one JG 52 plane that has the red tulip nose and RLM 82 top and RLM 84 sides.)

Some, same spinner and the cockpit needs a lot of work, there are other areas that need work too but these are the big ones, Thierry has a tweak list for this kit IIRC.  The fuselage is different than the G-6, the main gripe here is that it's a little pinched along the spine, personally I really don't notice it but don't dispute it.  It's the only K in 1/32 though, you can hope Trumpeter does one (they announced it a while back) but it will most likely have inaccuracies as well or see if Revell does one.

Unless you're looking for a 100% spot-on replica I'd go with the Hasegawa kit and an EagleParts spinner and a replacement cockpit.  Use Thierry's tweak list to correct a lot of the minor errors and you'll have a pretty accurate K.

Thierry,

You don't seem to put much emphisis on the one thing that is a HUGE turn-off for those of us that dispise it: The Trumpeter kit is festooned with rivets (or divots, as they appear to be).

I have all three (as well as the 21st Century '109F and G kits), and completely agree with Mikester:

Unless you're looking for a 100% spot-on replica I'd go with the Hasegawa kit and an EagleParts spinner and a replacement cockpit.  Use Thierry's tweak list to correct a lot of the minor errors and you'll have a pretty accurate K.

D

For me, another noticeable problem with the Trumpeter Bf109 is the section from the spinner to the hinged cowls (where the oil tank is). On the real thing the cross-section of that part is circular at the front to meet the spinner. But at the back, the cross section is egg-shaped with a flattened bottom.

Because of this the transition from spinner to engine cowl is not a totally smooth line, it is kind of "stepped" when you look from the side (at the top) and creates a kind of "jowl" or "cheeks" at the bottom. On the Trumpeter kit that "stepped" look is absent making the nose seem pointy. The "jowl" is missing too. Revell got that right.

I also do not like the rivets - they are inaccurate in location, spacing and too big/soft-edged.

Radu

The fuselage is different than the G-6, the main gripe here is that it's a little pinched along the spine, personally I really don't notice it but don't dispute it.  It's the only K in 1/32 though, you can hope Trumpeter does one (they announced it a while back) but it will most likely have inaccuracies as well or see if Revell does one.

Hey Mike did you compare the Revell with the Hase 'K' fuselage at the Hase panel line that includes the repositioned radio cover? Think they'd match up top to bottom?

Mike Horina

Edited by mhorina

Trumpeter:  Overall good, but will require more work and/or after-market to get up to speed.  Spinner, wheels, control surface detail and rudder are all weak points.  Trumpeter is the only one of the three who portray the cowl covers correctly and this looks better and simplifies assembly.  Fit is also very good on this kit.  I purchased two G-6s on sale from Squadron for $25 which is a great price, I will probably purchase more if I can get them at this price.

Mikester,

Do you think the Trump cowl covers can be used on the Hase G6/14 without too much work.

Asking these questions because the Revell, Trump kits available in the $20 range would be easier and probably cheaper if a resin part ever became available to help the Hasegawa short comings. TIA for any comments by anyone. I have already mated the Revell fuselage from above the cockpit to the Hase G-10 nose and intend to use the Hase wings only a little work needed to mate on the bottom.

Mike Horina

Edited by mhorina