B1 bomber paint

lawman56

Hi all, I know this really isn't a large scale question, but I need some help. Does anyone know where I can find decent pics if the early to mid 90s green/green/charcoal paint scheme for a B1? I've scoured the internet and all the pics are either of a grey scheme or too dark to see the demarcation lines. I can't even find a pic of Revell's 1/48 color call outs. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

and was also used on f-15e

Nearly......... ;)

The three tone lizard cammo paint scheme was applied to 71-291, the McDD technology demonstrator. That airframe was used to demonstrate the Strike Eagle concept. Production F-15E's have always been Gunship grey.

It was also used on C-5's, C-141's plus early A-10's though.

HTH

Edited by geedubelyer

The B-1 in the strategic scheme was not the same "Europe 1" scheme. The colours in "Europe 1" were two greens and a grey - the B-1 (like other SAC bombers at the time) were two grays and a green: FS34086, FS36081 and FS36118. The Detail and Scale book has schematic drawings of the camouflage pattern and is highly recommended also for detailing your model.

Jens

Curious. What exactly is "Gunship Quality" paint? Is that like the USDA beef-grading system, only for paint?

"Nah, you don't want Artillery Spotter Quality...spend the extra few bucks on Gunship Quality paint...that's the good stuff right there!"

Now that's some funny $#it right there...

Thanks fo all the help. So far I've got the correct paints, now I just need to try to get the pattern proportions right. Did I mention this B1 is in 1/144 scale? I figure I'll be cross-eyed once I'm done, but it's a memorial that a friend asked me to do.

He used to be the electrician for B1b 86-0106, which crashed into a mountain in Texas back in 1992 with a loss of all 4 of the crew. He stayed back at Ellsworth, and had to go down there to help clean it up.

A few years ago he purchased the Lindberg B1, since he has no room for the Revell monster, and asked me to replicate his old bird. So you can see why I want this to be perfect.

The Lindberg kit doesn't get a good write-up in the Detail&Scale book on the B-1.  It has numerous shape problems and is representative of a B-1A (one of the first three with the escape capsule).  A better starting point will be to use the Monogram 1:144 kit which is a B-1B to start with.  OK, it's a Snap-tite kit and doesn't come with landing gear (stand is provided, but you could take the gear from a Minicraft kit if you're building it on the ground).  There are some wrong shapes and features too, but nothing like the Lindberg kit - which you will have to spend a lot of time to convert into a B-1B while fixing problems.

Jens