1:32 F-22 Raptor

KUROK

Guys, The Hasegawa F-22 failed because the exterior was way wrong in detail to scale. The panel detail is thicker than you find on most tanks. I was given one for a gift when I was int he Hospital and it still sits in the box. F-22's have a few raised RAM panels maybe 1/4 inch, not the 6 inches or more the Hasegawa model has them molded into the skin. Once Academy corrected the nose on their Raptor kit, it became the nicer of the two kits.

Building a big raptor in 1/32 might be a fun scratch build project.

Edited by ghatherly

Cool - thanks for the info guys. Personally, I;ve always liked the 117, B-2, F-22 and YF-23. Something about those planes, the stealth thing, and their radical designs just piques my interest more then normal I guess. I did see that Zactomodels has been working on a resin 1/32 YF-23 that looks incredible!! ...if it ever happens to make it to production of course. :)

I worked at McDonnell Douglas when the YF-22 was picked to be the 5th generation fighter.

Losing the YF-23 contract was a bummer but we did win two other huge contracts: The C-17 Globemaster and the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

Didn't Hasegawa release a 'limited production' 1/48th scale F-22 that included PE for the exhaust that was priced $60-$70?

I bought my son a Hasegawa 1/48th scale F-22 off of eBay for $30 shipped.

I think the original release of the F-22 kit was in pink styrene and came with decals to cover the entire airframe in anime girls. It was part of their Idolmaster series:

http://www.hlj.com/product/HSGSP271/Air

Carl

Cool - thanks for the info guys. Personally, I;ve always liked the 117, B-2, F-22 and YF-23. Something about those planes, the stealth thing, and their radical designs just piques my interest more then normal I guess. I did see that Zactomodels has been working on a resin 1/32 YF-23 that looks incredible!! ...if it ever happens to make it to production of course. :)

Zactoman from Zactomodels had a 1/32 YF-23 in development some time ago. Not seen much on this front lately though ... There were certainly very good reasons why the YF-22 was chosen over the YF-23, but when it comes to looks, the YF-23 was winning hands down ...

Then we got the choice between the F-32 and the F-35... If beauty derives from function , then I wonder what functions these ones were designed for :DodgeBall:

Hubert

• 3 years later...