Excellent Tamiya Kit prices

rohan

Guest Nigelr32

In my experience, anything from HK misses customs, US, Japan and NZ always get caught for me!!

Back on subject, Joy Hobby are great as are Dawngrocery store, Stella Models, iyouwethey... the list goes on. I actually ask my LHS for discount now, to keep them in business. They will often match the price of the kit plus P+P from HK.

Remember, if we all buy all our kits from HK, there will be no hobby shops in your local town...

Just my 2p

Edited by Nigelr32

I usually buy my models and AM at hannants, Spruebrothers or sometimes at oupsmodels (french webshop).

But sometimes you cant find what your looking for, ie OOP kits. Last year i found 2 F-16C block32 in a HK ebay shop. The guy suggest me to buy off ebay with a discount. I first was not too hot about it, as i was afraid to be had. But as i would pay with paypal, i thought it should be a kind of protection if the HK guy would give me an invoice and the whole transaction all there in black and white. So i went for it, and my two kits arrived at home about 10 days later without any problem. Happy day for me !

I dont remember the name of the guy but if someone want to know it, i can look for it.

Tax dodge?

What a load of rubbish.

They are not that cheap if compared to street prices.

If you ever visit Hong Kong you will see how cheap kits are there.

Things like standard Tamiya F-4s and Eagles are approx 75-80 USD.

Most Hong Kong dealers are selling 25/30 percent above street prices.

Its not a tax dodge its just how much they are..

On prices having jst returned from a bit trip across the US you guys are getting ripped a new one by distributors.

I saw prices on Tamiya Corsairs ranging from 160-199USD!

Tokyo at Yellow Submarine they where 8800Y less 25% or 66 bucks.

You guys are getting murdered on Chinese and Japanese kit prices..

You do understand how VAT operates in the EU & the considerable cost of running a business in Europe compared to Asia? Wages, taxes, rates, rents, etc. Then add in the cost of shipping away from Asia and there is your difference.

Nobody is getting "murdered". I'm not sure many model shop owners are driving around in Bentley from their massive profits.

Guest Nigelr32

That last bit does bit bother me at all

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even though I cannot believe anyone could have such an opinion? But I do wonder, when the EU finally make it illegal to ship paints and glues, how will you manage without a local outlet for such products? Will you happily pay postage costs when all you want is tube of filler for example??

I buy stuff from Hannants, but rarely kits

And yes, I find it is still cheaper (or at least not more expensive) to buy paints and glue en masse from Far East, at least for the Gunze paints i use, and either Tamiya or Gunze thin cement

I have no 'local' hobby shop; everywhere is a drive

check out the postage from Hannants for a tube of glue recently?

Edited by nmayhew

Tax dodge?

What a load of rubbish.

They are not that cheap if compared to street prices.

If you ever visit Hong Kong you will see how cheap kits are there.

Things like standard Tamiya F-4s and Eagles are approx 75-80 USD.

Most Hong Kong dealers are selling 25/30 percent above street prices.

Its not a tax dodge its just how much they are..

On prices having jst returned from a bit trip across the US you guys are getting ripped a new one by distributors.

I saw prices on Tamiya Corsairs ranging from 160-199USD!

Tokyo at Yellow Submarine they where 8800Y less 25% or 66 bucks.

You guys are getting murdered on Chinese and Japanese kit prices..

That's true, i lived in Shanghai for about 6 month in 2005.

But there is no other way to get it. How much is a plane ticket for HK, Shanghai or Tokyo? Sure far more than the overprice of US or Europe shops, or even more HK or China Ebay shops.

And Japanese webshop are often more expensive than US ones. I ordered my first Zoukei Mura Skyraider from Japan and if i add the shipping fees and VAT it was the more expensive kit of my stash. So i ordered my second at Spruebrothers and it costed me far less money.

Edited by Zero77

Guest Nigelr32

I buy stuff from Hannants, but rarely kits

And yes, I find it is still cheaper (or at least not more expensive) to buy paints and glue en masse from Far East, at least for the Gunze paints i use, and either Tamiya or Gunze thin cement

Agreed on the paints being cheaper, and the best glues actually being available from Asia, but I thought Royal mail, and the EU were going to ban shipping of said products? I remember a while back Hannants were unable to ship paint and glue?

Of course, I could be wrong??

Agreed on the paints being cheaper, and the best glues actually being available from Asia, but I thought Royal mail, and the EU were going to ban shipping of said products? I remember a while back Hannants were unable to ship paint and glue?

Of course, I could be wrong??

True, i always bought my alclad at hannants before, but now they donc ship spraycans, enamel, or laquers overseas because of the ban. And they say that even by boat they cant ship as royal mail still refuse for the reason that even if the parcel is intended to be shipped by boat, the postal company could ship it by air.

You do understand how VAT operates in the EU & the considerable cost of running a business in Europe compared to Asia? Wages, taxes, rates, rents, etc. Then add in the cost of shipping away from Asia and there is your difference.

Nobody is getting "murdered". I'm not sure many model shop owners are driving around in Bentley from their massive profits.

Im sure shop owners are not driving Bentleys around.

But a 300% increase in price or even a doubling is not the consumers problem.

Again i can see why US modellers are screaming about kit prices and rightfully so..

I've been tempted a couple of times, but a quick calculation made it usually uninteresting. If the customs office has a closer look on them (which is very likely with a larger box), I'm in for import VAT. Maybe customs duties, and bang, I'm right where I could have had it right here...