SA-23E Mitchell-Hyundyne Starfury

spacewolf

But wait kids !... we are not done yet !!.. we need those maneuvering thrusters... so out with the masters and vacu former... made a foil wrapped heat box to hold the plastic holder over the electric burner and I was off to the races.

iTnWaEy.jpg

Parts cut out and centerline drawn...

jfZUJe0.jpg

Thankfully I was smart enough to look at the ref drawings... the top thruster is actually NOT at 90 degree's... it's canted outboard by 9 degrees... almost got caught by that.

The thruster mount made...

NFiSBvR.jpg

pI28oTz.jpg

The resin thruster nozzel my friend Bill had gotten made from my master years ago...

UFV8fuf.jpg

PSPJtR9.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Placed on the engine it looked good....

LFZRUYk.jpg

BUT.... from the side there was a BIG issue.... the thruster is supposed to be level with the engine centerline... not be angled up ! :BANGHEAD2:

gaUDT67.jpg

It's a good thing I don't mind getting nasty with plastic... :fight: ... using my razor saw I cut most of the way through the mount..

3VjawMs.jpg

The line was then widened with an Exacto blade..

ilEiCnK.jpg

Glued down and sanded it looks MUCH better !!

wCOfi9I.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great as always Vaughan!

I was at my parents house on Tuesday and saw my old Revellogram Star Fury there. I'm still amazed it's in one piece. I think it's the first model I tried to do some tonal variation on.

Carl

Thanks Carl ! Neat when you see one of your old builds that has survived !!

So here we are again... More trials, tribulations, glue sniffin' & general confusion ! :frantic: The build continues !!

With the VEN basic construction completed (I thought) I set to work on the support flanges... three layers of .060..

SqPIHyk.jpg

Carefully spaced around the engine body...

TBgR5Ac.jpg

I thought I was all set to go.... but then I noticed something on one of the pics.... The ion vein support mounts ..... they look NOTHING like the pic from the show... and being I had assumed Revell got it right on the model had built mine the same.... :BANGHEAD2:

hrZaphW.jpg

qYnPGAZ.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

Nothing for it but to cut off, gouge out and rebuild... there are times I think this build is like Groundhog Day... same thing over and over and over as I try to get it right.

New build ... laminated sheet cut to shape and glued in...

hg12ZdX.jpg

hfNqAQS.jpg

It was about this time that I got talking with Lee Stringer and he very kindly sent me a bunch of renders from the actual model they used on the show !! He likes what I'm doing and is following the build... needless to say I'm thrilled and humbled.

Needing a break from the major construction I got busy and set up the light fitting for the lighting tube...

ynucUxx.jpg

The inset tube with the LED was a bit small so I just glued thin strip at 3 equidistant points and it centers perfectly..

en2YuNA.jpg

I splashed some flat black inside the VEN to help cut down light bleed and did a test... vee half LIGHTS !!

aoEtHIf.jpg