Model Desk Suggestions

petrov27

Heya

Currently I work on a large table that just sits in the middle of the basement - this has a lot of space but no drawers, storage,or anything else so it tends to be messy and there is no organization. The table also occasionally is used for other things so I am forced from time to time to move everything off and that is a pain.

Given that, I am contemplating creating a dedicated workroom elsewhere in the house but not sure what would be best for the desk itself; has anyone seen a design or possibly a purchasable desk that they think would be ideal for modeling? I am building only 1/32 at this point and have some big kits in the future so the desk I expect needs to be a pretty good size...

I am looking through some of the "show your model area" threads here and elsewhere but if anyone has some suggestions or ideas that would be cool.

Thanks!

I'm not sure where you're located, but here in the states, I went to a local office supply place. I got two of the long main desks with the shelf on the top and tied them together into an L shaped unit with their corner piece. Not cheap, but very nice with a tempered glass surface that I can actually clean anything off of. It doesn't have built in drawers, but I just use a cheap set of particle board drawers underneath and I have drawers/desks all over the work room. I use one side of the L (both sides are the same length, though) for my computer/desk, the other for a workbench.

I caught them during a 20% off sale when I moved here a little bit ago.

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/promotions.jsp?catId=cat1830048

Chris

We had a discussion here on work spaces not too long ago.

I do not know where you live but if I were to begin from scratch I would start by looking for book shelf units that stand rather high with lots of shelving space. But I would look for used furniture. There are used office furniture supply houses and stores that specialize in old furniture, like Goodwill, Catholic Salvage, Salvation Army and the like.

Then place the large shelf units against the wall or free standing behind the table. Now you have a place for everything. You might want to put dividers, both horizontal and vertical in the shelves for smaller stuff.

The style of the furniture and work table will depend on your personality and wallet. Some guys want neat, clean, new items and others like any old things as long as they serve the purpose of storing stuff in plain sight.

You might also consider more than one table. I like new hollow core doors one can find at lumber yards. Buy the least expensive and attach some legs under it and you have a great work place for spreading out models and the parts.

The possibilities are endless. Keep your eyes open and see how businesses set up their work spaces.

Have fun,

Stephen

used to use this layout when I was in architecture school... I used a solid core wooden door (a hollow core works just as well and is much cheaper and lighter) placed across two metal 2 drawer filing cabinets. a 36" door will give you almost 10 sq. ft. of work surface and the filing cabinets give you plenty of storage space. got both the filing cabinets at a second hand store for like 5 bucks, and the used solid slab door at the same place for another 5. New would still cost you less than $100. the only down side to this layout is it makes it WAY too easy to leave stuff on top of the desk out of convenience.. thereby leading to large amounts of clutter

I did the doors thing too! I used two doors in an L shape against a wall with the filling cabinets and the two ends and one in the middle. Very reasonably priced and gives you tons of work space.

The door idea sounds great, I used a big piece of MDF and one pine plank, same idea but smaller. I don't have the room for doors. I used cheap cabinets over the benches for storage. If I had a choice, I would go with the doors. Pics of my set-up.

IMG_2179_zps4c6f7eb3.jpg

IMG_2172_zpsd8063de4.jpg

IMG_2173_zpsdf33081c.jpg

IMG_2175_zpscbb67ea8.jpg

IMG_2174_zpsb5962526.jpg

Don