'Fantasy' aviation subjects in 1/32 scale

Royboy

I wouldn't put any money against literally anything coming out in the next ten years....

We're allegedly still in the midst of a global recession and yet more and more kits arrive with more parts, greater detail, larger scales and, of course, higher price tags. Size and price barriers fall every month, so a 1/32 B-58 sounds quite reasonable to me... especially if HK move into modern aircraft.

What I'd like would be a Bf 109V-1 and FW 190V-1. Both probably easy to convert but ready made would be nice. In fact a whole series of 'first prototypes' would be cool...

Matt

Edited by mattlow

... We're allegedly still in the midst of a global recession ...

I disagree partly only on this point - The GFC impact only really extended to the majority of Europe and the USA - largely because the Capital/Financial markets weren't regulated as well as they should have been and were insanely out of control! ... in fact Australia and China (the second largest economy in the world) for the largest part, yawned at it's passing! Germany didn't fair too badly either.

Totally agree that anything is possible/goes in the LSP world these days ... except a Do17z - apparently?

Rog :)

The surge in 1/32 kits started after the recession was in full bloom. It is a recession, not a world wide depression.

My theory is that 1/48 started to bloom after there were so many kits of different airplanes available in 1/72.
Now 1/48 is pretty well saturated so manufacturers are putting more effort into 1/32.

I like it.

Stephen

Martin,

I got my B.S. degree in Product Design but discovered I was an artist (sculptor) and was not interested in creating better toilet paper dispensers for the betterment of mankind so I went for my Masters in Sculpture. To support myself I got a job in a small firm making OEM (Original Equipment Machinery). A company would come to us to design a machine to be part of their production line and we would invent it, design it, make the drawings, produce it, test it and deliver it. I worked at several places doing the drafting - I was too new at this to be a designer, I was an apprentice like critter. It was at these firms that I found that none of the creative machine designers had engineering degrees, or any degrees at all. Some people are born with a mechanical bent and are also creative. They started as draftsman and became creative designers. Then I looked back on my school days in engineering and design and realized that there are two types of "engineers" There is the analytical engineer, who can analyze any problem and determine the materials to be used and the stresses they will take ,etc. etc. Unfortunately most of these guys could not design a toothpick. They were stay in the box and redo what has been done before types. The other type of engineer is the design engineer. These guys are the types who can create a mechanism to actually do something.

The problem is that the schools are run by analytical engineers and all they can do is reproduce themselves. A creative person seldom survives 4 years of analysis engineering training. Which is why we need so many engineers - most of them are not creative.

One of the most creative machinery designers I know was a guy who started from high school as an auto mechanic then got into aviation mechanics and finally got a job in a factory as a machine repairman. With a factory running 40 production lines 24 hours a day 7 days a week they need a core of these guys always on the line. Well, he was creative with mechanisms and could see what the problems were solve, them and design better ways of doing things so the parts lasted longer. After 10 years or so he was the chief engineer and as new plants were brought on line he became the chief engineer of all of them. Why, because he could understand mechanisms and see how to improve them. All he has is a high school diploma. Before he retired he had engineers with their B.S. degrees working for him.

So I am not surprised that your innate abilities shone. We either are born with this mechanical ability or not. No amount of schooling can create this in a person. So I know whereof you speak.

Stephen

A 1:1 working version of me, so I can get some building done and still keep up with work. I've barely touched plastic in the last 8 months

I've been wanting clones of me for years. One to work and make money, one to be attentive to my wife and agree with whatever she says, one to do the same with my nonstop yammering sister, one to exercise every day and watch what he eats to keep a trim figure and one to make all these model kits I keep buying. As for myself, I will make sculpture. But life never works out the way we would like, unfortunately. :shrug:

Stephen

Many of the aircraft I have been waiting for and didn't expect have been released...the MS.406, Caudron C.714, the Tempest V. It's been a great few years for 1/32 scale especially if you are interested in the Second World War (unless you happen to like Soviet aircraft!), and now the First War as well. I have to say that the lack of 1950s jets from any nation is puzzling.

Still though, two I would really love to see are the PZL P.11c and the Fairey Firefly IV/V. Both of those are rumoured or being considered but nothing so far. So maybe they are only marginally fantasy aircraft?

Others: PZL P.23 Karas

Saab Tunnan

As far as aircraft I would jump at but are never likely to be kitted in 1/32, how about this:

CF-100

410_cf100_174_zps9ee271a5.jpg

I've been wanting clones of me for years. One to work and make money, one to be attentive to my wife and agree with whatever she says, one to do the same with my nonstop yammering sister, one to exercise every day and watch what he eats to keep a trim figure and one to make all these model kits I keep buying. As for myself, I will make sculpture. But life never works out the way we would like, unfortunately. :shrug:

Stephen

Mmmmm sounds like an idea for a movie! ... oh, wait! It was! ...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117108/

Rog :)

Many of the aircraft I have been waiting for and didn't expect have been released...the MS.406, Caudron C.714, the Tempest V. It's been a great few years for 1/32 scale especially if you are interested in the Second World War (unless you happen to like Soviet aircraft!), and now the First War as well. I have to say that the lack of 1950s jets from any nation is puzzling.

Still though, two I would really love to see are the PZL P.11c and the Fairey Firefly IV/V. Both of those are rumoured or being considered but nothing so far. So maybe they are only marginally fantasy aircraft?

Others: PZL P.23 Karas

Saab Tunnan

As far as aircraft I would jump at but are never likely to be kitted in 1/32, how about this:

CF-100

410_cf100_174_zps9ee271a5.jpg

I'd be up for a kit of the Clunk as well.

Carl

And then an Avro Arrow to put beside it.

Whilst we are on the subject of Canadian aircraft, I think that I would like to add the Canadair CL-215/415 and CP-107 Argus to the list as well...

Derek

Edited by Derek B

My fantasy list is as follows (but then I am a little 'odd' ;)

Avro Shackleton

Victor

Vulcan

Short Sturgeon

Supermarine Scimitar

Supermarine Swift

Fairy Gannet

Buccaneer

Canberra (any)

Jaguar

Blackburn Baffin

Cessna C152