1/32 Hasegawa Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate

DoogsATX

Because three builds on the go isn't enough! I actually started this one during a lull in the 109s and while waiting for the SH Fiat G.50 to show up...got far enough in that momentum's carried me through the holiday weekend.

81jfz3T1L1L._SL1500_.jpg

My boxing is different and has lame markings, so I'll be using Montex masks to represent a ship of the 520th Temporary Interception Regiment.

Aftermarket will be limited (there's just not much out there...) to:

• Eduard Interior PE
  • Quickboost exhausts

Prep work.

Got started by prepping the cockpit. The kit seat is awful. Fortunately, Eduard to the rescue.

null_zps520aeb4e.jpg

I also used the Eduard set + some lead wire to add detail to the floor and sidewalls.

null_zpse20e0fdd.jpg

While I was at it, I drilled out the 20mm Ho-5 cannons. I'd prefer brass, but they don't exist and I don't feel like cutting up a 1/24 German MG.

null_zpsa013853f.jpg

Matt-

There are a few other aftermarket upgrades for this kit, if you want to dive into them! The Eduard exterior set has some really awesome upgrades for the engine compartment and the landing gear bays. In addition, MasterCasters makes two types of aftermarket weighted wheels; one with a smooth hub, and one with a vented hub. I found the wheels on Ebay, and was able to find the Eduard exterior set just about anywhere. HTH.

- Dennis S.

Westminster, CO USA

Oh, and so I'm not being completely pig-headed, your progress so far is fantastic! This is definitely motivating, as I have one of these in the wings once I finish my Hasegawa P-47. I plan on using some Kagero markings on mine, and building it concurrently with a Hasegawa Ki-61.

Matt-

There are a few other aftermarket upgrades for this kit, if you want to dive into them! The Eduard exterior set has some really awesome upgrades for the engine compartment and the landing gear bays. In addition, MasterCasters makes two types of aftermarket weighted wheels; one with a smooth hub, and one with a vented hub. I found the wheels on Ebay, and was able to find the Eduard exterior set just about anywhere. HTH.

- Dennis S.

Westminster, CO USA

Thanks Dennis! I'm aware of the MasterCasters wheels, but think I'll be sticking with the kit wheels since 1) the Frank's wheels and tires are fairly simple so I don't feel resin adds much and 2) the wheel/strut connection is so solid on the Hasegawa that it'll be almost relaxing vs. the resin shoes I've dealt with on the past multiple builds!

I'll take a closer look at the Eduard exterior PE. Usually I skip them as too much fuss for too little gain.