Hobbyboss IL-2M3

jaxngee

Oh yeah, baby! That looks spectacular!

I just got this kit, myself and have been been digging on the web for as much reference material as I can find. I think I will be building it next. So, with that in mind, I have to ask what paints you used and how you liked the Montex masks? I was thinking of going with one of the Montex schemes, as well.

Truly inspiring build, Sir. I love it!

John

Hi

I used a mix of colours which i took from what i saw around the internet as I couldn't find out any conclusive conversions for the soviet colours into paint ranges so what i settled on was

pale blue Revell 49 hellblau

green mr colour verdi mimetico n02

brown humbrol 118

interior pale blue grey tamiya xf23

red tamiya flat red

just what i thought was right, much as you did with the p-36 colours.

I didnt assemble the wings as one piece tops and one piece bottoms, which in hindsight might have been a better way/ easier way to proceed as i only just got away with doing one wing at a time, and had some awkward fettling to do around the inner wing top pieces. The engine is really nice and could be made a feature but the mounts are scale thickness and suffer from being weak, and theres not much to line up the front of the engine to when you assemble the front fuselage-if you get that wrong the prop will be out of kilter. Theres no back plate behind the spinner. However to me it ended up looking the part, the Montex masks were fiddly, if you get them in position they mask well with no paint creep , its just lining them up is the challenge, I've used montex before on a P-47' snortin bull' and they were good, even the serial number worked and theres no comparison to a decal, a brilliant finish. Hope this helps and encourages you, remember she's a big old battlewagon when finished, I'm having storage problems with it already!

Thanks for the info!

I will probably end up going a similar route. I know there are the Akan paints available, but there's still plenty of doubt with those and I'm not sure if I want to buy an entirely new set of paints if I can mix something that's to my liking from what I have and, especially, if I'm not going to like the colors to begin with. The subject of color on these planes seems to be a minefield and I know that I have my own opinions on it and would rather "go with my gut", anyway. However, I'm pretty sure it's going to end up looking very similar to yours and hopefully as well executed.

Thanks again,

John

Thanks for the info!

I will probably end up going a similar route. I know there are the Akan paints available, but there's still plenty of doubt with those and I'm not sure if I want to buy an entirely new set of paints if I can mix something that's to my liking from what I have and, especially, if I'm not going to like the colors to begin with. The subject of color on these planes seems to be a minefield and I know that I have my own opinions on it and would rather "go with my gut", anyway. However, I'm pretty sure it's going to end up looking very similar to yours and hopefully as well executed.

Thanks again,

John

john i have since discovered that according to a vvs modelling website that the brown i used is not accurate-well none of the colours are really but the brown is the bogey, it appears that most of them had a colour i would describe as a warm grey in place of the earthy brown you can see it here

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm I might try to repaint mine in that colour, be a bit tricky though, anyway I thought you might like to know this

Allan

Edited by jaxngee

john i have since discovered that according to a vvs modelling website that the brown i used is not accurate-well none of the colours are really but the brown is the bogey, it appears that most of them had a colour i would describe as a warm grey in place of the earthy brown you can see it here

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm I might try to repaint mine in that colour, be a bit tricky though, anyway I thought you might like to know this

Allan

Here's a nice long discussion on the subject of VVS colours !

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234933995-vvs-colours-in-the-great-patriotic-war/?hl=%20vvs%20%20colors

Cheers

Den

• 3 weeks later...