F-15E to I Ra'am conversion

ladder4boy

Just traded for this kit and was thinking of maybe doing one of the aggressors out of it sometime down the road.. how much pain and suffering am I in for? Can I just pop in a new cockpit or are there major changes required? I know almost nothing about the f-15 except they're big and usually gray.

thanks in advance guys,

Jerry

Edited by ladder4boy

Jerry- The "E" is a two seat model, while the "C" is a single seat. The Strike Eagle has many features the "C" doesn't have, and honestly I think you may want to consider buying an F-15C if you want to build an Aggressor. The Aggressor squadrons did fly "D" model two seaters, but those are different from the "E".

Other than the two seat fwd fuselage the biggest problem turning the E kit into anything else other than a Strike Eagle are the conformed fuel tanks on the sides. If you traded from a C to a E kit, then you actually traded up! I would spend your time with that kit, maybe some photo etch sets, intakes and build a E!

Paul

Jerry,

Which kit of the F-15E did you get? If it is a Tamiya F-15E, then build it as an F-15E. If you got the Revell F-15E kit, It's not really an F-15E to begin with. The Revell kit would make a better F-15D which you can build as an aggressor.

Kirk Taylor

Kirk, it's the Tamiya F-15E.. Not the bunker-buster version. Traded an F-4J for it. I just am not a big fan of gray jets.. Got a couple already and want some pizazz in the display case. (I'm fully aware that I have to actually complete something in order to have pizazz in the case as well.. I bore easily and get distracted by shiney things). Do the Israeli's use anything based off the "E" platform? Or the Japanese? I'd love to do an Israeli camo job or one of the Japanese aggressors... Or the great "white dragon". I'm lookin for out of the box here... I've got a while to plan, horde AM, and acquire reference material.. Maybe wait for DACO or Melampy to do a book on it.. LOL

Edited by ladder4boy

Since the Tamiya E kit comes with the CFTs and pylons molded as part of the lower fuselage, it's tougher to make anything other than an E based airframe out of the kit. The Japanese don't use E airframes, but Israel uses the F-15I. You'll just need some minor mods like feathered exhausts, but there are conversions by Wolfpack Designs and Isracast available.

ahhh.. enter the tiger meets... didn't even think about those. Decals may be hard to find tho as f-15 decals in general seem to be scarce! I did notice in that pic that the guys in the air force seem to be getting younger and younger :wicked:

Yeah Paul.. Also gives me an excuse to but the Sufa kit! The Ra'am conversion doesn't really seem that bad... Really thinking about going that route.. Researching what all is out there for it now. Does anyone have any experience with Sky decals?

Yeah Paul.. Also gives me an excuse to but the Sufa kit! The Ra'am conversion doesn't really seem that bad... Really thinking about going that route.. Researching what all is out there for it now. Does anyone have any experience with Sky decals?

I've used them several times with no complaints