A6M2-N "Rufe" Takuma Flying Group *DONE*

Out2gtcha

Hello once again lads and lasses!

It's time to move on to my next WIP. I initially intended to start an Fw-190 A-8 R/2 but not having all the parts I needed to start put me off a bit, and after looking at pics of some competed Rufe builds, and the very nice MDC conversion……..........…well here we are!

I have quite a few nice Japanese subjects in my stash, but do not yet  have a single built Japanese subject, which is another reason I chose the A6M2-N for my next WIP.
This 1/32nd build will be from a combination of the venerable yet still very nice Tamiya A6M2b and the resin Rufe conversion for it from MDC. I love foiling (as evident by my last build (HKM B-25 Strafer) but after the immense size and complexity of my last build I wanted something significantly smaller, and something I could apply a cool weathered paint job on. I think this is it! I really do have a fascination with sea/float planes, so this one will definitely hold my interest. I have NO shelf of doom and tend to waffle a bit when deciding what project to start, so once I do, I commit to the very end, and finish projects. Hopefully this one will turn out like I hope.

Let's get started!

I have to admit, I like starting my WIPs with the proverbial shots of what we are starting with.

First I have the beautiful Tamiya A6M2b –

DSC01593.jpg

Next we have a selection of AM, including as set of Ad Astra custom paint masks for the Takuma flying group, a resin Q&E seat with nice lightened holes cut, and nice looking belts included, a full set of A6M Hobby Decal dry transfers, and an all metal Type 21 propeller/spinner set from HLJ -  

DSC01597.jpg

I also have the complete resin A6M2b cockpit set from Aires, and full Eduard color PE interior sets, along with a set of A6M2b canopy masks from Eduard as well (no pics of that but I'm sure you all know what the Eduard mask sets look like) –

2355_rd.jpg

Next we have the main attraction, the resin Rufe conversion from MDC. The conversion is VERY nice, and comes complete with everything you need to make a stunning model, including very concise instructions w/pics, and even a 1:1 drawing of the dihedral needed, where the tip floats are to be placed, and where to cut the Tamiya lower wing & fuse to get the MDC parts to fit correctly –

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

Overall, the resin parts are very nice, and things come packaged very neatly, and even include the complete beaching trolley as a separate little kit –

DSC01598.jpg

MORE…………………

Edited by Out2gtcha

The star of the show/conversion set is the main float itself. Its made in a single lump chunk of very nice, smooth gray resin, w/very nice rivet detail on it (including the bottom of the float!). Ive put a splash of FM black wash on, to make the rivet detail more visible in the pic –

DSC01599.jpg

Thanks to my old Revell A6M5 test bed, & some toothpicks you get an inkling of what the finished item kinda-sorta might look like –

DSC01603.jpg

DSC01602.jpg

DSC01601.jpg

I still have to reload the new PC for my model room so I can have some documentation photos to look at while building (the old PC was just WAY too old and slow) and will hopefully have that done in the next few days before jumping in on this.

Unlike a lot of kits I have started (starting in the cockpit) I need to break open the MDC conversion plans, and start by hacking up the Tamiya fuse and wings in the appropriate places for the MDC parts, before getting any further, since the Tamiya instructions have you putting in the pit after fuselage halves assembly.   

Cutting the fuse and wings prior to their assembly is the only way to go on this, and definitely needs to be done before staring any air-frame assembly.

Till next time guys (and gals!) and thanks for looking in on me. I hope this one will be as entertaining as I think it will!

Cheers!

Edited by Out2gtcha

Fascinating choice Brian, really looking forward to this one! You will love that kit, built the Tamiya A6M5 kit a couple of years ago and it was brilliant. Well, except for Tamiya's method of attaching the landing gear, but luckily you don't have to worry about that!

I have never seen the HLJ metal prop, I bet you have big plans for that little gem. Can't wait to see more of this one!

Brian,

Fantastic! The A6M2b kit was the first supergrade 1/32 kits from Tamiya and the first I built. I can attest to the fit and quality, and your conversion will work more magic. One question: why use the Eduard canopy mask when the kit provides them? In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing your inspiring build unfold.

Cheers,

Tom

Fascinating choice Brian, really looking forward to this one! You will love that kit, built the Tamiya A6M5 kit a couple of years ago and it was brilliant. Well, except for Tamiya's method of attaching the landing gear, but luckily you don't have to worry about that!

I have never seen the HLJ metal prop, I bet you have big plans for that little gem. Can't wait to see more of this one!

Thanks Frank. I was hoping that was the case since Ive not actually put any of the Tamiya kits together before. :lol: Really looking forward to this one, as I have heard echos of what you had to say about this kit from virtually everyone that has built one.

As to the HLJ metal prop, I was in the same boat, and had not previously seen it ever before. Im hoping to replicate the look of the front side of the natural metal IJN prop, as well as the spinner. Im pretty sure the Rufe is like the other props, black on the back-side for anti-glare from the pics I have.

Brian,

Fantastic! The A6M2b kit was the first supergrade 1/32 kits from Tamiya and the first I built. I can attest to the fit and quality, and your conversion will work more magic. One question: why use the Eduard canopy mask when the kit provides them? In any case, I'm looking forward to seeing your inspiring build unfold.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for the kind words Tom. :)

As for ordering the Eduard masks..................1 reason: You have to cut the Tamiya masks out yourself (as far as I can tell by looking over Tamiya's instructions anyway). The Eduard ones are crisp and clean and most importantly pre-cut.

Holy smokes I can not believe this, such a coincidence. I was just thinking about this conversion and here you go Brian. Fantastic choice , good luck mate. I'll be watching with interest.

Cheers

Martin

Thanks Martin. :) I have had both the kit and the conversion (purchased from Barry here on the LSP forums some many years ago) but the timing seemed to be just right, and I really do love the looks of teh Rufe when all weathered up and what-not. :D

Awesome!

I can't wait to see this!

John

Thanks John! Cant wait to start this one. I have some days off next week too, and hope to be able to get some solid hrs in on this one. I have always wanted to start a Tamiya kit, but I dont really like to do a WIP that everyone else is doing at the same time, so this one seemed "odd" enough that it was unlikely to have anyone else doing one.

I got the inspiration from Chris's amazing looking A6M Zero WIP going (def not the same thing, but really got me in the mood to try this one!) atm.

Building a rufe myself - with the Tamyia and the resin Rufe conversion from MDC. But the weather down here is a bit on the cold side so I have lots of problems getting glue and plastic to stick together properly! One thing you might want to consider is to use the landing gear screws to attach the external float supports as I manage to break both support plugs off as the resin is a bit soft - seems to work as at least they haven't fallen off yet :)

DSC09601_zpsf56747ac.jpg

DSC09600_zps260a84fa.jpg

Will be following this one ...

Bengt

This is going to be interesting - I'll be watching :popcorn:

Thanks Thomas! I hope it will be interesting myself. ;)

Great choice - this will be interesting

:goodjob:

Thanks! Im hoping it will hold my own interest as well.

Cheers

Building a rufe myself - with the Tamyia and the resin Rufe conversion from MDC. But the weather down here is a bit on the cold side so I have lots of problems getting glue and plastic to stick together properly! One thing you might want to consider is to use the landing gear screws to attach the external float supports as I manage to break both support plugs off as the resin is a bit soft - seems to work as at least they haven't fallen off yet :)

Wow, great tip! I never thought of that, but can totally see the tip floats breaking off and as such needing the screws. Ill likely be doing exactly that.

Thanks man!

Cheers

Great project Brian! I think the A6M2 kit was actually preceded by the A6M5 kit, making it the second, rather than the first of Tamiya's superkits. Don't throw those unused Tamiya parts away either, as I may be begging them from you for my own Rufe conversion - except mine will be using the old Doyusha kit as a base, and the Horizon vac conversion set. Anthony gave me a bunch of stuff though (thanks Anthony!), so it may turn out that I have all those parts already. :hmmm:

Oh, the canopy masks that Tamiya provides are perfectly fine and quite easy to cut out. I was quite surprised by this when I built mine:

final_02.jpg

Kev