1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

Big steps today smile.png

I have got as much of the fuselage interior done as is needed at this point, and everything has been installed in preparation for closing the fuselage up. The final details were the scratch-built seats for the wireless operator and navigator, and the final painting matt black of the various bulkheads etc to make it nice and dark inside:

S1030225.jpg

S1030227.jpg

S1030231.jpg

The other details needed on the flightdeck, engineer's compartment and the extreme nose can be added later through the apertures for the clear pieces.

It was now time to join the two fuselage halves together...

S1030233.jpg

S1030235.jpg

Once they were joined using a mixture of poly cement and CA glue, using the Granger plans I cut out and lined the mid-upper turret aperture and also made sure the two exit hatches on the upper fuselage were squared off and lined also. More framework is to be added to these later in the build.

Now it's off to do some serious filling... where's the car body filler..?

Until next time,

Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Your progress is amazing and now throw in the B-17. Just incredible work, The interior detailing looks just tremendous.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools

More progress...

Now the glue had cured it was time to address the joins which can be problematic on vac builds due to their nature. Despite my best efforts with tabs and bulkheads, there was a slight dip along the join which needs to be addressed. I simply place a piece of Evergreen strip along the join, and then this has the effect of raising the dip to bring it in line with the rest of the fuselage:

S1030241.jpg

Liberal amounts of filler are then applied - more is better here as it helps blend everything in:

S1030242.jpg

After a couple of hours to harden off, it's sanding time! Here you can see the plastic strip showing through, so I now know I'm at the correct level and the filler has taken care of the rest of the dip:

S1030253.jpg

And the final result:

S1030246.jpg

S1030248.jpg

S1030250.jpg

A few minor blemishes to sort out later, but on the whole not bad!

The wife it out this afternoon, and I reckon it's time to put the wings on...wink.png

Stay tuned...

Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Now that's progress. Thanks for the mini tutorial on the seam work. Just want to double check. The strip styrene goes over both edges or just the lower lip?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Tom

Now that's progress. Thanks for the mini tutorial on the seam work. Just want to double checl. The strip styrene goes over both edges or just the lower lip?

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I place the strip over the centre point of the seam as both sides dropped down. The filler then builds up the rest, and when you sand through to the strip you know everything is flush and the fuselage top nice and level.

Wings are now attached and setting up... All being well some piccies later...

Tom

Well, second update of the day...

The wings are now on smile.png

All in all a pretty easy operation... my previously made spar structure came into its own here and things went exactly according to plan.

Earlier in the build I had installed some Evergreen tubing into the leading and trailing edges of the wing, and this allowed some wooden dowel of the correct diameter to slide into:

IMG_1937.jpg

Holes had been made in the fuselage sides for the dowel to slide through, and the dowel also slotted into the roof of the bomb bay for extra strength. Therefore, it was just a case of sliding the wooden spars onto one of the wings...

S1030256.jpg

Push them through the fuselage and out the other side, where the other wing was slid over the spars...

S1030259.jpg

Plenty of glue was added to either wing root, and then they were butted up the fuselage and taped in place whilst everything set. The join is very good, and will only require a quick lick of filler:

S1030268.jpg

In fact, if I'd wanted to, with a little sanding and trimming, I could most probably have made the join good enough to have the wings detachable.

So here we are as of this evening... a model that is slowly but surely taking on the form of Handley-Page's finest:

S1030261.jpg

S1030264.jpg

S1030266.jpg

Once the wing to fuselage joins have been filled it'll be time to start playing with the tail feathers rolleyes.gif

Until then,

Tom

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Thanks for answering my question, much appreciated.

Awesome progress on your Halifax and the wooded rod 'run through' dowels for structural spars is simply stellar- what an ingenious idea. :thumbsup:

Keep 'em coming

Peter