1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

Neat! the plumbing and extra detail in the bomb bays looks terrific, Tom.  

We were missing your craftsmanship for a long while already.  It's good to see more progress done.

Greetings,

Fab

Wow Tom, just when I thought you couldn't possibly add any more detail to it, there you go again. I really like that black colour you use, it seems to come up so smooth and compliments the details so well, without either hiding or highlighting them. JUST PERFECT!!!!!

Craig

Not a huge amount of progress over the last week, but I have attached the bomb-doors for the main bays.

The Halifax had a quite complex set of doors - the upper sections folded outwards to allow the lower sections to rotate up and into the bays. This meant the doors protruded far less into the airflow (when compared to the Lancaster for example) and thus reduced drag when the doors opened.

All I had to do was cut the kit's doors to the correct size, and scratch-build the retraction and rotation mechanisms. When they were painted and weathered slightly, it was just a case of adding them to the bomb bay. I also added a final few details to the bay itself, and now can say this area is complete:

S1030270.jpg

S1030281.jpg

S1030273.jpg

Onwards and upwards!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I've been a little busy with end of term school reports of late so have not had nearly enough time as I'd like at the modelling bench. However, I have been able to make the transparency for the rear turret.

This was done by crash-moulding using the Milliput master I'd made earlier:

S1030312.jpg

It took quite a few attempts with various thicknesses of plastic before I was satisfied:

S1030316.jpg

Once I was happy with a casting, I put the turret 'in situ' and started adding a few details such as the gun elevation mounts, a few archer rivets and then masked the clear areas. The mounts do protrude a little too far to be honest, but various attempts at getting them mounted in apertures cut in the glazing ended in complete disaster so I took the easy option:

S1030292-1.jpg

S1030294.jpg

The whole thing was then sprayed and unmasked:

S1030301.jpg

S1030305.jpg

Not 100% accurate, but it's the best I can do. Again, considering it's all been made from scratch it'll have to pass!

I've also primed the props in preparation for final painting:

S1030308-1.jpg

I'm currently working on a master for the mid-upper turret. This will then get the same treatment as the tail turret before I scratch build the turret interiors. 

Only another 80 or so reports to write and then I can back to this project in earnest... looks unlikely I'll make the deadline for this group build though  :(

Tom

Great work as always Tom. And for what it's worth, we're likely to extend the GB by a month or so...

Kev

Thanks Kev - and that's good to know! I'd love to have it completed by the deadline, and if it's a month or two extension I'd say I'm fairly likely to get it done.

I have the parts for the Merlin now too, so all that's left really is to complete the turrets, nose transparency, props and a final few little details. It's now just a case of finishing those reports... :(

Tom

To me, this is equivalent to watching a master sculptor at work. Starting in it's basest form, and being molded and crafted into a work of art. I truly envy those who can scratchbuild from the ground up, like this.

It motivates me to keep improving my skills until someday, I too, may be willing to try tackling a project like this.

Thanks for sharing your fantastic work!

Tom,

The rear turret looks incredibly good. The masking job was excellent and the addition of the riveting detail rounded up the effect quite effectively.  I am ordering some of these Archer rivets to try in my own project.

As I've said it before, you are soooo close to completion you're keeping us "with the heat in our throats", haha.  

Hopefully the promised GB extension will suffice to let us see this beauty finished!

Keep it up!

Fab