1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

Time for an update on this project - I've got the flaps made over the last week or so. Almost every picture I see of parked Halifaxes shows the flaps dropped, so I wanted to do the same on this build. I'm no Halifax expert but I imagine a drop in hydraulic pressure allowed the flaps to drop after a while?

The kit flaps were removed when I built the wings, but as this picture shows they are not really useable and I had to come up with my own:

S1030696.jpg

They are pretty easy to make. I use an off-cut of some old sprue and plastic card - this makes an aerofoil shape for the leading edge of the flap:

S1030699.jpg

The sprue is then sandwiched between a top and bottom 'skin' and the ends added from more plastic card.The join between the plastic card and the sprue is then blended with filler. Here I have already cut out the actuator slots:

S1030662.jpg

When everything has been made good and sanded in, it's time to add each individual flap to the trailing edges:

S1030691.jpg

And after a few hours work - a set of fully deployed flaps...

S1030702.jpg

S1030705.jpg

This process will also be repeated with the elevators and rudders at a later stage.

Until next time,

Tom

What an epic build here Tom. Superb display of talent all the way around. I don't recall ever seeing a Halifax build in 1/32nd, ever. This is one of a kind build by the numbers. Thanks for sharing this build with all of us.

Regards

Troy

What an epic build here Tom. Superb display of talent all the way around. I don't recall ever seeing a Halifax build in 1/32nd, ever. This is one of a kind build by the numbers. Thanks for sharing this build with all of us.

Regards

Troy

Many thanks Troy!

I've never seen one completed, although fellow members on this site have had a go but didn't quite make the finishing line.

Kits such as these really are great fun but can be testing at times; I tend to pick it up when the mood suits rather than trying to force it. That way, I stay fresh and the interest remains. To be honest they're no where as difficult as people perceive, it's just a case of having to work things out in your mind before committing to cutting plastic!

Tom

Not the most exciting of updates but progress none the less...

I have been continuing with the control surfaces and have now completed the elevators. As with the flaps, the kit items were very thick and the detail crude, so I have gone down the scratch-built route.

The first task is to create a top and bottom surface for each elevator from plastic card using the plans and the model itself to make sure everything fits as it should. I also scribe the surface detail on at this point. The elevators on the real aircraft may well have slightly raised detail here, but my skill levels don't stretch far enough to re-create that so I've gone for the easy option:

S1030717.jpg

To create the aerofoil shape I once again attached spare sprue to the leading edges, making sure I left the apertures for the hinges:

S1030720.jpg

The leading and trailing edges are then filled, and the end plates made from more thin plastic card:

S1030724.jpg

Finally, the filler is given a good sand and polish:

S1030726.jpg

And then the elevators are fitted to the model:

S1030727.jpg

S1030730.jpg

S1030731.jpg

S1030733.jpg

Now the same process will have to be completed with the rudders...

Until next time,

Tom

:wow: very impressive Tom, makes me want to start a 1:24 Lanc from Scratch. Do you think you could get me some drawings if I send you over some money????

Regards

Richard

There is a 1:24th vac Lancaster available, it was produced a few years ago by Heritage. They are pretty hard to come by though but occasionally pop up on ebay and the like.

Regarding plans - I have a 1/72nd scale set so it would just be a case of scaling them up. The only limitation is the size of the paper as I can only do a maximum of A3 sized. It would be a case of making a mosaic of them all I'm afraid, but if you can work with that PM me your details and I'll get some sorted for you.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm really enjoying following your build - quite inspirational, I must say.

With respect to scale line drawings there is a set available from "My Hobby Store" in the UK. Here is the link: http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/18437/avro-lancaster-mk1-mk3-special-line-drawing-2781

The drawings are available in 1/144, 1/72, and 1/48 and were drawn by D.H. Cooksey and cover the Mk.1, Special B Mk1 and Special B Mk.3

I obtained them many years ago when I built H.J. Towner's control line Lancaster. The model flew with four engines and I still have it, though in a somewhat sorry state. My intention is to rebuild this old model and see what I can achieve now that I have far greater building experience.

Incidentally, there is also a full set of line drawings available for the Halifax. Again in 1/144, 1/72 and 1/48 scales covering Mks 1 to IX including detail sketches.

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/18517/handley-page-halifax-mki-ix-line-drawing-2882

Hope this helps.

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. I and I'm sure others will find that rather useful!

I've now completed the rudders on the Halifax, and they are now installed on the tail fins. Once again, as with the flaps and elevators, they were made from plastic card. I used thicker card this time as I needed to be able to sand it sufficiently to get the shapes right where the rudders curve along their top and bottom edges. Again, I took the slightly easier route here and scribed the surface detail on rather than attempt to re-create the slightly raised rib detail:

S1030769.jpg

S1030787.jpg

The next few show the model now complete, with all flight control surfaces finished and installed:

S1030784.jpg

S1030778.jpg

S1030777.jpg

S1030770.jpg

My next task is going to be re-scribing the surface detail lost during the filling and sanding process, and then I can think about adding some of the finer details such as completing the wheel bays and cockpit interior.

Until next time,

Tom