Kinetic Hawk 115: RCAF NATO Flying School

Guest Jessie_C

Guest Jessie_C

I've got the intakes and exhaust invisible in there, and the cockpit sandwiched in to see whether I'm going to need to fuss about with making them fit. As I expected (having done the 1/48 Goshawk previously), the fit of the wing to the fuselage is less than precise.

This airplane doesn't really have too much going on, so progress can be rapid once the major assembly starts.

Guest Peterpools

Jessie

Some very nice progress on the Hawk and the dry brushing in the front office really brings out the kit details.

Keep 'em coming

:rolleyes:

Edited by Peterpools

Nice work Jessie (and nice review as well) - very tidy and clean work indeed :goodjob:.

This is one kit that I must buy when the opportunity arises as I wish to check it out against the Revell kit and see if one of my products in development for the Hawk fits both kits satisfactorily. I look forward to watching your progress with this kit as I have a reasonably keen professional interest in this aircraft type.

Regards

Derek

Guest Jessie_C

In case no one from Northern America wants to chime in first, I have a set left. :)

It seems that nobody has, so I'll take you up on your fine offer. What do you want for them?

Guest Jessie_C

I've been doing more cockpit work in the Hawk, plus a few other things.
hawk_14.jpg
The bang seats have their preliminary paint and drybrushing done
hawk_15.jpg
I tried to portray a slight amount of wear on the edges
hawk_16.jpg
The seat belts have their base colours on
hawk_17.jpg
A bit of a wash and brush-up in the cockpit. The flash washed out most of the wear I drybrushed onto the floor
hawk_18.jpg
hawk_19.jpg
Now on to other parts of the Hawk's anatomy. The intake and turbine fans with a dark wash and polish respectively
hawk_22.jpg
The business end of the jet pipe, plus just a sliver of the zinc chromate painted on the interior of the fuselage showing which is exactly what I wanted to happen here.
hawk_20.jpg

Guest Jessie_C

My google-fu seems to be failing me this evening. Does anyone have a good picture of the large vent in the upper fuselage? The parts which make up the intakes also make up this vent, and I'm devising a cunning plan to make it nice and seamless before closing up the fuselage. Where I'm running into difficulty is finding out what colour to paint it once I've got it looking pretty. Should it be white? Metallic? Burnt sooty black? Fuselage colour?

Guest Jessie_C

I'm not very thrilled about the bang seats' firing handles and I really hate trying to paint the yellow and black spirals.
hawk_21.jpg
I'm going to solve this little problem by borrowing Drabslab's thread technique and modifying it a little bit. Since I haven't got a button, I'll need something else. First, the thread
hawk_23.jpg
Then instead of a button, I used my Vice-grips, dangled them from the thread and spun them for a few minutes while the threads wrapped together.
hawk_24.jpg
I clipped the plastic firing hoops off
hawk_26.jpg
Drilled a pair of holes
hawk_27.jpg
Superglued in a loop of the twisted thread, et voilà! Instant bang seat firing handles, no fussy painting required!
hawk_29.jpg

Guest Jessie_C

The seat looks much better with seat belts on it
hawk_30.jpg
And a quick test fit in the cockpit to see how they look
hawk_31.jpg
I mentioned a cunning plan to deal with the intakes. Here it is.
First, chisel out the bottom of the rear intake mounts on the fuselage sides
hawk_32.jpg
Glue the intake halves together, making sure to remember to glue on the intake fan, then deal with the seam inside the upper exhaust vent
hawk_33.jpg
Now a quick digression to make sure all the other things which have to go inside the fuselage are all glued in. Add 21 g of nose weight, just because
hawk_34.jpg
Then once the fuselage is nicely buttoned up, it's time to deal with those intakes. Drop the rear inside the fuselage
hawk_35.jpg
Then carefully shoehorn the intakes into their mounting holes on the fuselage sides. They'll snap into position with a little persuasion
hawk_36.jpg
Now we almost have an airplane!
hawk_37.jpg

Edited by Jessie_C

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jessie_C

Some more progress on the hawk. The cockpit is for the most part complete. The canopy doesn't fit terribly well closed so I guess it's a good thing I intend to have it open.
hawk_41.jpg
The seams are sanded down. Now I need to put the remaining little outside bits on and I can give it a coat of primer.
hawk_42.jpg
hawk_43.jpg