Hasegawa 1/32 Ki-61 Tony

dmthamade

The base was an oil wash. On top of that I applied MiG Pigments overall the build, a little heavier on areas where foot traffic and work was done. After that, I took Windex and from a distance of 3ft, I sprayed a fine mist over the build, letting it fall in a fine mist. This settled the Pigments in a way that it looked like dirt/staining in high travel area. I use Acrylic based clearcoats, and I think the Windex also etches the clearcoat. Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!!

Don

Wow, thanks for the explanation! Very effective, and a technique I plan to try out. Well done!

I did a short tutorial on another forum for this. This shows how i weathered the bombs on my P-47 build but most applies to an overall finish.

This is a 500lb that i did for a P-47. It looks heavily weathered, but after seeing a video on Youtube on how these were handled i fell OK with it.

IMG_2138.jpg

To start, i painted, decalled and sealed the bomb. You need to end with a dull/flat coat.

IMG_2142.jpg

Next, i took Tamiya makeup kit A and using all three shades i smeared the bomb all over.

IMG_2143.jpg

Take a wide brush and blend the shades together.

IMG_2144.jpg

Next, i loaded up the bomb with MiG Pigments

IMG_2145.jpg

Now, taking Windex and from a distance of 3-4 ft spray a fine mist upwards above the bomb so it falls in a fine mist, you don't want a direct spray or excess puddling.

IMG_2149.jpg

What you will end up with is this. Now this is far too harsh for a bomb, would look good for rusty tanks/equippment.

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

Finally, taking the wide brush and some more MiG Pigments, blend the staining in.

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

For wing upper surfaces, i didn't blend at the end. I just relied on the fine mist and color of pigment to give the desired effect. Obviously this will take experimentation and practice. I use Acrylic clearcoats and i think the ammonia in the Windex adds to the effect by etching into the clearcoat. I don't know how this would work on enamel paints. If you coated your clear parts/canopies with Future, BE AWARE THAT THE WINDEX WILL RUIN THE FUTURE COATING!!!! . Either keep masks on or leave clears off if you try this. HTH

Don

Whoa, that is way cool! The Tony has always been what I consider to be the best looking WWII Japanese fighter. You've definitely done it justice. Love the weathering tutorial too. I'm gonna have to try that on my next build.

Cheers,

Wolf

Oh yeh bombs get dirty as they were stored outside int he bomb dump and in some cases were man handled or simply rolled out to the aircraft through the mud or whatever. Nice stuff.

Hey Don, remember your stuff from ARC, great work!

Hello Mikester!! Still hang around ARC, but LSP seems to be a better fit with 1/32 all the time. will probably spend more time here.

Don