How to break the bond?

Propwash

I'm looking for a debonder for Plastruct Plastic Weld. Currently working on a 1/16 Panda Pzkpfw 38t. A good armor kit in many respects, but a bear to assemble. There's a lack of alignment pins in some areas, and as a result, I misaligned a sandwich of glacis plates. I need to find something that will debond these large, flat surfaces so I can get it right before continuing. Any suggestions?

Jerry Peterson

If the name is what it does, welding the two parts together via chemical reaction, then you're probably screwed. You could try putting the part in the freezer to see if you can crack the plastic that has melted together in the join, but it might not work, especially if you loaded up on it and really squashed the sections together.

BradG, on 05 Aug 2013 - 06:22, said:

If the name is what it does, welding the two parts together via chemical reaction, then you're probably screwed. You could try putting the part in the freezer to see if you can crack the plastic that has melted together in the join, but it might not work, especially if you loaded up on it and really squashed the sections together.

Been doing some research elsewhere, and it appears you're right. Once plastic weld dries, the only thing for it is to cut away the parts, which in this case would probably mangle them beyond recognition. Not a total loss though. It's just that I'm going to end up with a gap of about .05 mm to fill. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic about this kit anyway. I got it mainly to brush up on my modeling skills after a long hiatus, so I guess I can write this little screw up off as a learning experience.

Jerry Peterson

No way you can get a razor saw on the join, is there? There are some blades which fit in scalpel handles which have fine teeth and will make a very neat, thin cut in polystyrene, and they will get into places the bigger zona type blades might struggle with.

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

No way you can get a razor saw on the join, is there? There are some blades which fit in scalpel handles which have fine teeth and will make a very neat, thin cut in polystyrene, and they will get into places the bigger zona type blades might struggle with.

Tim

On second thought, it might work. The razor saw blades I currently have are too coarse for the job, but I've seen others that are much finer. Think I'll order up one of those and give it a shot.

Jerry Peterson

Get some p/e saws such as this one. The car modelers use them to open up doors, trunks, etc.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Tools/TAM00074105/product.php?s=4&t=0&u=1&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&e=0

That's just what I had in mind. I've seen those blades elsewhere and always intended to pick up a set. Now I have a reason.

I knew if I posted this dilemma here some keen minds would come up with a solution.

Many thanks!

Jerry Peterson

The razor saws from UMM are awesome.....one of those tools you never knew how you lived without. You can make cuts within panel lines.....

As was said, styrene cements are actually just solvents that melt the plastic. Once bonded, you'll probably need to cut it loose unless it's not a very good bond, then you can use the cement to re-melt the bond. Personally, I'd just bust out the razor saw. Any damage can be fixed with filler and styrene stock.

Chris

When I needed to get my Stuka's wing halves open I just put a razor blade and tucked it between the halves and twisted back and forth gently until there was a little "snap", and voila.

Maybe a bit risky but yeah.. it's an idea.