F-117A Nighthawk (channelling my inner scratch builder)

Uilleann

Was asked if I had an image of the original gear part, to show what's been added.  As it happens, I still had the metal gear leg which was cast exactly as the original styrene part.  I'm pleased with the transformation:

spring-compare-1.jpg

spring-compare-2.jpg

The 'proper' springs really help to make the sell I think.  Compared against the original representation, its a big step in the right direction.

Edited by Uilleann

As always, I'm honestly humbled by your kind words.  I don't suppose anyone happens to have some detail info on the landing lights of the 117?  I assume they're at least similar to other century jets in design, though I know that while some parts were at least initially taken from other jet models, that there was also a good deal of the F-117 that was unique to it's design.  Trying to figure out if I can scratch out the three lights...perhaps packed with a small surprise inside.  But I don't have much in the way of good detail, 'walk around' type shots to help me as I go.

I'm also working out the retention straps around the main struts, and though of using a black decal to replicate the rubber, and then try to cut a slightly thinner (1mm or so) strip of bare metal foil to lay over top and simulate the metal strap for each.  My concern is that the foil will likely not cut cleanly that thin, and that it also may not adhere strongly enough to the legs with that little adhesive left.  Any thoughts on how I might better accomplish this feat?  I had given thought to perhaps using some of the straps from a company like Aber.  Something like THIS, maybe? (painted silver or aluminum of course.)

Am I barking up the wrong tree maybe?

Bri~

Brian,

Let me see what I have re: lights. I might have ref pics you might not have; I posted my books in my latest build update; let me know if there's a book you lack. For the straps, how about silver-painted decal strips or Bare Metal Foil strips?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom, I may well take you up on the offer.  I don't really have a list of things I'm after per se, but I'm sure I'll figure it out as I get to each successive phase of this build.  Currently, I'm trying to find as detailed shots as I can of the rear housing on the lights.  The nose appears to be a bit different from the main gear from what I can tell.  What I am certain of, is that the kit offering for the nose gear light is completely wrong, and the mains are likely also (although, perhaps not quite as egregiously as the nose light.)

I do have the Squadron book (#26), and the Concord book, but none of the others.  Not sure what else I'm missing without seeing them of course.  I know with an A/C like the Night hawk, that there is so little information to go around, that there is a massive amount of crossover from one publication to the next.  I do have a large-ish collection of photos and reference images I've scoured from the interwebs over the years as well, that I can forward on to you as well Tom.  Say the word, and give me the best email address to send to, and I can have everything off to you in a flash if you want to take a look.  Not certain of course, but I expect I may have some images in there you haven't seem before.

Cheers friend!

Bri~

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all out there in modeling land.  Sorry I've been absent on the thread here lately.  Have had a tougher time than I initially thought finding my groove again, and sadly, haven't made any progress to speak of on the 117.  I am wanting to get moving on things again in earnest, but have run into a small snag concerning the landing gear legs.  In particular, the nose gear, but I could also use some pointers on the main gear as well.

In particular, I'm trying to figure out exactly how many hydraulic lines, and electric cables I need for each leg, and exactly where each attach.  The landing lights are easy enough to work out of course, but the rest have me a bit baffled.  For the nose gear in particular, it appears that there are three hydro lines coming up from the bottom of the leg assembly??  If I am seeing it all correctly that is.  If I may indulge everyone, this image from the Dayton IPMS F-117 page is decent at showing what I'm trying to work out:

NoseGearPortRear.jpg

Their site has been a great help for me in terms of reference, and I can't thank them enough!  At any rate, It appears there is a line on the bottom of the oleo, connecting just to the right of the lower scissor link , another to the top, that attaches just to the left side of the upper scissor as well.  But I can't see a third line attachment.  I would like to get these squared away soon if I can, but I dread getting them where I *think* I see them attaching, and then finding out that I got everything all wrong!  Now is the time to do it right as they say, so I figured I'd ask.  Mike V., you out there buddy?  :)

As for the landing lights themselves, I got some great super close up shots of a light on the nose wheel of an A-10 at the airshow last weekend.  It looks close to what the 117 uses, so I think I will have something viable to start that part next.

As an unrelated aside, I noticed a bunch of the A/C at the show were fitted with an unusual sensor or two.  I could only guess they were for optical and/or infrared sensing, perhaps related to countermeasures onboard or something.  Does anyone recognize these and/or know their function? They were present on a number of aircraft, but this was from the tail of an A-10:

a-10-sensor.jpg

And from the nose and various parts on a C-5 Galaxy as well:

c-5-sensor-1.jpg

c-5-sensor-2.jpg

c-5-sensor-3.jpg

I was unaware if transport A/C were now being fitted with any sort of active threat deterrent or not, but the laser turret there seemed strange and out of place to the untrained eye.  Any guesses on the rest?

Cheers!

Brian~

Edited by Uilleann