F-117A Nighthawk (channelling my inner scratch builder)

Uilleann

Ha!  Well, I spoke too soon!  The dreaded brown BEAST has struck again!  This time, it was Dugan, our other naughty chocolate Lab!  His nose found it's way into one of my modeling boxes (just a converted fishing tackle box) when I had my back turned for all of 30 seconds the other night.

CHOMP!

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the parts were that are now lost thanks to dogzilla, but I don't think he got anything too critical.  Couple of little ziplock bags that I expect to find in the back yard in a couple days time...and perhaps an odd bit of styrene or resin.  I think a piece or two of cardboard, and possibly an instruction set for decals or PE or some such thing.  Who knows.

If dogs weren't so darn cute...particularly when they give you that: "I know I just injested multiple expensive model parts Dad...but look at my 'sad face' and just try to be mad at me!" look.  ;)

Amid the chaos, I was also able to scratch a door uplock switch for the front doors as well with some left over PE and a short bit of 0.2mm lead wire.  I need to figure out the gloss white thing for the doors and gear legs, and I think I can then get the rest of this build moving along.  I keep waking up hoping that the gloss will just magically appear on all parts needed, and I won't have to worry about it myself.  But the shoemakers elves must be on strike or something - cause no luck so far.  BOO!  :)

Thanks for folloing along so far...

Brian~

Absolutely brilliant so far.

I know about Labs. We had a yellow one. When he was a pup he demolished anything he could. We even had the carpets removed and replaced with floorboards because of him. No matter what he did, he loved us unconditionally so how could we ever get mad at him? If God had a dog he would have a Lab. If you can't love a lab, you don't have a heart.

Monty

Ha! Well Monty, should you ever want a new Chocolate...I'd be willing to make you a great deal on a slightly used model! :)

The build progresses slowly, but last night I went to the local shop for a new jar of gloss white to attempt to finish off the gear once and for all. I had also forgotten that I had replaced the hydraulic door actuator for the nose gear door. I think at the time I figured it would be good enough, and had resigned myself to using the kit parts for the main gear bays. Except that now, with the extra goodies added, I think they would stick out in a most incongruous manner.

So, out with the brass tube again, and styrene strip, and steel wire, and various cements, and lead wire...with any luck, I'll have a pair of smart looking and improved door actuators by the end of the weekend.

The best part? Its an extra excuse not to have to dive into my gloss paint escapade quite so soon!! :D

On a side note, I know that both color and sheen can look different at scale. Does anyone have some good links for articles or threads pertaining to proper gloss appearance at scale? TIA!

Bri~

I bought the new jar of gloss white to give it a shot through the brush...will see how that turns out to start. I have a coat of flat white down as a primer now, so with any luck I'll be able to pull this off and be done. :) Hope to have a chance to spray either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Aw shucks Maru...you're far too kind. No really, your too kind given all you other master modelers here!! :) I do sincerely appreciate the accolade all the same. No time to get any work done on the night hawk this past weekend, so hopefully tomorrow I'll have some reasonable progress to report.

Spiffing Old boy, simply spiffing.

Now to go and beat the memsahib for not getting the G & T correct. My mahout is also calling as the elephants are getting excited. There's a smell of tiger in the air!

Monty

I like this post - on so many levels!!  :punk:

I like this post - on so many levels!!  :punk:

Thank you sir. The only problem old boy is if one administers a damned good thrashing they take it for granted and expect more! Certainly can't be seen to be rewarding them, what. Ah for the good old days when elephants knew where they stood. Ah well, as my old dear friend Brigadier Roger Ing, used to say, "Come here bearer so I can put my feet on you!"

Montgomery

Got a few details added to the main doors - the uplock switch and cable, and the lock mechanism itself just to the left.  Also threw a quick coat of rust red on the appropriate pads.  I'll re-paint after I get the gloss down, but wanted to get a feel for the finished look:

main-door.jpg

Also got the first of two hydraulic pistons more or less settled.  I know it's not accurate, but I decided to have a bit of fun and create something from nothing...or at least, something that very few people will be able to tell me is "wrong" compared against the prototype.  :)   A new main cylinder was fashioned from brass tube, and some added styrene straps.  Brass wire to replicate the hydraulic line, and a mythical "fluid reservoir" or perhaps it's some flavor of "boost pump" or some such thing stuck to the side.  I'll add some wires from the top of that after final painting as well:

door-ram-1.jpg

door-ram-2.jpg

I figured these were likely to be buried so far underneath this thing when done, that a little artistic license here wouldn't hurt.  :)

Cheers,

Bri~

Edited by Uilleann