1/32 RAF Phantom EMI photo recce pod scratch build?

kitbasha

I am hopeless at large scratchbuilds, is anyone good at scratchbuilding and up for making a 1/32 RAF Phantom FGR2 EMI photo recce pod? One off paid job for anyone who is interested. Please PM me, genuine offers only please. Needed for an ongoing project.

I *may* at some point be doing one for one of the Brit Phantom conversions I'm planning/working on at present - but you will probably be waiting a long time!

The Hasegawa 1:48 F-4K kits include one - a very useful reference!

Iain

If someone wants to lend me a Hasegawa one, I would be happy to CAD model a copy and vacform some, like my Sea Hawk drop tanks. Promise the original will be returned unmarked!

Tim

Hi Tim,

I have the 1/48 Revellogawa FGR.2 in the attic, which I believe is the entire Hasegawa kit minus metal LG and rubber tyres and different decals. I might be the 'easiest' option for getting the recce pod (or entire kit parts) to you... A rummage will ensue this afternoon.

Tony T

If someone wants to lend me a Hasegawa one, I would be happy to CAD model a copy and vacform some, like my Sea Hawk drop tanks. Promise the original will be returned unmarked!

Why stop at the recce pod, seriously?

Get thee behind me!!! I can resist everything except temptation!!

Seriously, I have the Sea Hawk and Swordfish on my workbench right now as major projects, so another major project like an FGR2 conversion would just slow things up even more. But a pod, not such a problem. The Sea Hawk drop tanks took only 4 hours from starting the CAD to pulling the first vac formings, for example.

But it is a good idea, I can't argue with that.....

Tim

FGR.2 located and intact (forget how dinky those 1/48 things are!). You can take away the whole thing Tim on indefinite loan. Sprue K, with the EMI pod, also contains the parts for the Spey cans which is something a lot of DIY cut-shimmy-and-shut modellers are worried about tackling to create a Spey Toom, and there are other small bits like the RWR box for the fin top which would make life easier.

I share Kagemusha's sentiments as a full conversion may be something worth pondering in the fulness of time. I'd be in for one too and can loan a 1/32 Tamiya F-4C/D J79-powered fuselage and wing, or sacrifice it if necessary. If you can do it without chopping, there's also a 1/32 F-4J to hand (which I would subsequently build as a Spey Phantom).

Let me know when you can pop by - don't fancy walking much in the current deluge!

Tony T

Sound like a good idea for the recce pod Tim :speak_cool: (BTW, now that I have finalised how I am going to tackle the F-4K/M conversion - which will be vacform/resin - I have now drawn up the plans and have started to prepare my F-4J kit for some pretty major destruction!).

Derek

You lot are ganging up on me, aren't you!!! I'll try and pop by tonight Tony, if that is OK. Thanks indeed, this is gong to be a great help!

Tim

Tim, I'll have the plastic on standby shortly!

Sound like a good idea for the recce pod Tim :speak_cool: (BTW, now that I have finalised how I am going to tackle the F-4K/M conversion - which will be vacform/resin - I have now drawn up the plans and have started to prepare my F-4J kit for some pretty major destruction!).

Derek

No-one's trying to steal your thunder Derek! We're just all suffering from the dearth of a Spey Toom and itching to have one to build/convert sooner rather than later.

If Tim doesn't need the F-4C I'll likely be having a go at the WW-IV conversion as I'm in the process (almost finished) of designing decals for the Kelly & Belles Weasel, 63-470 Rub-a-dub-dub, as used during Linebacker II ops over North Vietnam. Still looking for Shrikes though, for that and an A-6 & A-7 too!

Cheers,

Tony T

Edited by Tony T

No-one's trying to steal your thunder Derek! We're just all suffering from the dearth of a Spey Toom and itching to have one to build/convert sooner rather than later.

If Tim doesn't need the F-4C I'll likely be having a go at the WW-IV conversion as I'm in the process (almost finished) of designing decals for the Kelly & Belles Weasel, 63-470 Rub-a-dub-dub, as used during Linebacker II ops over North Vietnam. Still looking for Shrikes though, for that and an A-6 & A-7 too!

Cheers,

Tony T

No problems Tony - Just reminding people that I have not forgotten about the British Phantom conversion and that the project is far from dead - It just takes an enormouse amomunt of time to plan, let alone produce! (Nor are the other items that I have planned for the F-4, including the F-4C WW fit, been forgotten either - I do need more info' on the Pave Knife though :)). I was considering what other items might be needed for the F-4K/M and the recce pod was one of those; however, if Tim wishes to make this item, then I shall not make it.

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Great news Derek! I may hold off on a DIY Weasel C in that case, as yours unquestionably will be superior to my humble whittling.

We are all so easily distracted! Had two Hunters and an F-8J on the go, put on hold when the A-6 arrived (though that's still in its boxed polythene bags uncut, remarkably!) and then found a third-done MiG-21F-13 Fishbed C which is beckoning to be finished first!

Nothing extra on PAVE Knife. It really needs somebody near a suitable museum, such as the Eglin one in Florida, to take a camera and tape measure.

As for the FG.1/FGR.2, all we need is the airframe to get moving on. Might be interesting to have photo-flash-capable outboard 370s for an early recce jet, and that British-only strike camera pod for the fwd Sparrow well.

Tony T