PCM Hawker Tempest 8:25:13- Completed!!!!

scvrobeson

Hey everyone. After finishing the B-25, I couldn't just sit around not doing anything. So I decided to get started on my new Hawker Tempest from PCM. As of now it will be OOB, but I might end up adding the Fisher landing gear legs and wheels from the Sea Fury, since they are identical to the Tempest units.

So far it looks like a nicely molded kit, and should go together about as well as their other kits, so fine with a bit of work.

Here are the first photos of the cockpit.

001_zps79c2c978.jpg

002_zpsa91ffa18.jpg

003_zps746675c7.jpg

004_zps657bca96.jpg

005_zpsc921dbd6.jpg

006_zps27a35f3b.jpg

007_zps22f92eaf.jpg

008_zps013018cc.jpg

009_zps65c09c8d.jpg

010_zps39c96963.jpg

I painted the cockpit according to references and the same way the Typhoon was painted. So that means that from the sidewalls up it was painted black. All of the painting so far has been done with Tamiya acrylics, and the wash was just black oil paint to highlight the shadows.

I'm thinking of doing either the boxart scheme or the version with the lightning bolt on the nose. Both look pretty cool, although there is nothing in my collection with invasion stripes....

Hope everyone enjoys this.

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Great choice for your next project and can't believe you're already going to town in the interior. Nice to see it's going to be mostly a OOB project with just maybe the Fisher gear. Will be following with keen interest.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Matt

Great choice for your next project and can't believe you're already going to town in the interior. Nice to see it's going to be mostly a OOB project with just maybe the Fisher gear. Will be following with keen interest.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. The two-piece wheels and the landing gear legs are the weakest point of an otherwise nice. I could even get by with the kit gear with some clean-up, it's really just some flash on my sample.

The cockpit is nice, but it's pretty cramped so I had to go a bit higher contrast than usual. Hopefully it works out, it seems like other people are having some troubles with this kit so far.

Oh, yeah! Wasting no time, but that is good! Looking forward to watching this one Matt!

:popcorn:

Thanks Frank! I have most of this week off, so I figured I needed something to do that kept me out of the heat outside. The kit looks nice, so should go together pretty nicely. I'm looking forward to your Corsair build as well. That looks like it will be great to build.

Looking good - fast start and will be following along

Thanks Petrov! It's only moving quickly because it's a nice, simple kit. Doesn't take much time to paint and get prepared for construction. Might even get the cockpit together this evening, now that the IP is assembled.

Good Luck, your gonna need it.

Thanks. I haven't found any problems yet, except needing to open up the mounting holes in the sideframes. That's been the extent of the problems so far. I've built 5 kits from PCM though, so I'm not expecting Tamiya quality here. I know they'll take some work.

You do know Matt, that we got used to the high level of work you do. With the B-25 fresh in my mind, this is going to be a very exciting build to follow!

Nic

haha, thanks a lot Nic. I know I'm not as good as a lot of the guys on here, but I thank you for the great comments. I'm glad you like it. I'm hoping that this will be an easy build, it looks pretty simple in the box.

Matt,

Glutton for excitement..... :punk:

Great choice for your next project.

Neat start. Going to be another great build.

Keep up the good work. :wow:

Thanks a lot! I really like the looks of the Tempest, it looks like a very purposeful aircraft, and should look good with the right amount of weathering. I've got the cockpit cage pretty much together, so I might be able to get that installed later today.

Yes I had to open the mounting holes too, just finished cutting Grooves into the inner surface of the Fuselage so I can get the Intake in. As the Fuselage Halves won't close without doing this. The Kit will look good when done, but its gonna take some work.

Andy.

Nice work so far Matt - I think that it is brilliant that we have two PCM Tempest builds on the go at the same time. This provides us all with two different perspectives and approaches to building the same kit. I shall follow your build with equal interest.

Derek

Nice work so far Matt - I think that it is brilliant that we have two PCM Tempest builds on the go at the same time.

Three Derek! Greg just started his a day or two ago as well. It will be worth following too, as he's showing the way in terms of making the internals fit properly.

Kev