HK B-17G available

Black Sheep One

$300 + shipping?

Fotunately for me:

1) I already have the 1/32 vacuform kit.

2) I do not care about interiors, extended landing gear, rivets, panel lines, etc. For propellers I use clear plastic disks as these kits will be hanging from the ceiling as in in flight or hanging on the wall. I am experimenting with combining the clear plastic with kit props - should be interesting.

How do I get wall space? Easy, my library occupies about 200 square feet of wall space. Just put thin plywood doors on the bookcases covering the books and hang the models on that.

Stephen

I don't really get the point of why some are complaining about either the size of this kit and/or the cost of it. This is all about Large Scale Planes. You're talking about a 1/32 B-17. It's NOT going to be small - nor cheap. If you want to have access to these large scale planes, we should support the companies that make these monsters for us. Otherwise, we may not have the large scale planes we're all here to talk about and build in the first place. $250 or so for a model that may take months or a year to build is not really unreasonable.

I'm going to build a new coffee table for my living room. Plexiglass top and sides. Place the B-17 inside for display. It'll be a tad larger than the normal coffee table though!

My problem is trying to figure out what to do with my HK B-25 diorama!

Just my 0.02

-Ro

Well, I am not saying the price is unreasonable, considering how many parts are in it and the investment that went into the making of the kit.

It is just I have better uses for the money.

The value of a thing varies from person to person.

Wasn't there a 1/32 kit of a V-Bomber a few years ago that went for $600 if I am not mistaken? People who wanted it and had the money paid that much for it. Radio control flying models can easily top $300+ and they sell nicely. A good set of golf clubs cost what, $600 to 800?

So, really, criticism of the price is pointless.

Stephen

ARRGH!!!! I'm fighting with myself again.... I said I wasn't going to get one of these monsters due to the nose shape issue that I convinced myself I could not get beyond. Now I'm thinking that I might be overreacting to the issue and convincing myself that I NEED one of these gigantic models. I have a feeling I know who's going to win this fight and a gigantic box will show up from Sprue Brothers in the not too distant future.... I was REALLY trying to avoid this kit but Eli's pending decals for the 91st Group may have just tipped the scales for me in favor of an empty wallet.

hmmm, thats interesting, I was thinking just a few days ago about making some wall hangers for LSPs..just didnt have any to measure by.

Greetings!

HK's B-17G comes with a wall hanger which mounts in the bomb bay!

Best Regards,

Ken

PCM, Inc.

Well, the entry of B-17 made one of the two last real plastic dreams come true (the last remeaining is F-102). I have started saving pennies for it a year ago when it really bacame real. And I really mean to build it after I finish my recent Mustang build. The price here in Slovakia is 300,- EUR at the local dealer (who is keeping the price at the low end for me). However, the cheaper options (HLJ, Sprue Bros and alike) involve shipping costs and customs/VAT issue which steals the fun of it (and of course, support your local dealer point also plays the role).

I skipped the HpH Catalina because of the price/space issue, however Catalina is not my cordial affair. But B-17 is simply the Flying Fortress, doesn´t it? :rolleyes:

Sorry for wasting your time, just my two (euro)cents, I simply could not resist.

Best to all

Jozef

The one that I ordered will arrive at the local drug dealer, eh, local hobby store sometime this Friday as I return from SLC. I might skip a day of work and go get it on Saturday.

Now for my wish list a B-26 and B-24 would round out my happiness for prop-jobs.

Hi Guys,

This is my very first post on this forum site, been reading the topics and forum posts on this site for the last year, some very great info and finished models especially the WIP, here is my 2 cents worth.

I will be picking up my HK B-17G this morning from my local hobby shop in Melbourne Australia, I was called to say it had arrived in the shop on Thursday the 1st of August 2013 very happy and suprised as I was told in early April when I paid for it that it will be available in Australia some time in May.

Unfortunately I will be storing on the shelf for a while as I hava few other project on the bench ie: trying to finish my 1/35 Iterlari JFK PT-109 that I started in March and my recent aquisition of a Dragon 1/6 M4A3 Sherman Tank (HUGE!). The other issue is the aftermarket parts for this kit are going to cost me a fortune as I just saw the first few items on Sprue Brothers web site from Eduard example the landing flaps alone are costing over USD100 !.

The price is still AU$319.00, which is still value for money even though our Aussie dollar has taken a tumble in recent months, in April AU$1.04 to 1 USD, now AU$0.89 as the saying goes America sneezes and Australia catches a cold.

For you 'Melbourne nites' who want to see one in these 'monsters' in the flesh it is available at the two premier Melbourne hobby shops, Metro Hobbies in Box Hill, see Ross or Victorian Hobbies in Melbourne CBD see Gino.

I will try to upload photos of my kit when get some time this weekend.

Greg