Anyone for an RNZAF Skyhawk 'Kahu' panel and HUD?

Anthony in NZ

3 hours ago, CJP said:
  • Now that the KAHU cockpit after market resin has been released by Barrracuda can  anyone advise the best 1/32 kit to make an A4K?

There are only two 1/32 Skyhawk kits, Trumpeter and Hasegawa, and the conversion set is designed to fit the Trumpeter.  It will probably take more work to fit to the Hasegawa kit.  Both kits have issues, with the main issue for the Hasegawa kit being that it’s an older kit with raised panel lines and less detail, but it’s generally accurate.  The Trumpeter is a newer, modern kit with recessed panel lines, but with a few issues.  There is a tweak list here.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2800

Note that the Trumpeter A-4E and A-4F kits are exactly the same plastic, so it doesn’t matter which boxing you get.  You’ll need to source a bent refueling probe, since the E and F kits only have the straight probe.

20 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

There are only two 1/32 Skyhawk kits, Trumpeter and Hasegawa, and the conversion set is designed to fit the Trumpeter.  It will probably take more work to fit to the Hasegawa kit.  Both kits have issues, with the main issue for the Hasegawa kit being that it’s an older kit with raised panel lines and less detail, but it’s generally accurate.  The Trumpeter is a newer, modern kit with recessed panel lines, but with a few issues.  There is a tweak list here.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=2800

Note that the Trumpeter A-4E and A-4F kits are exactly the same plastic, so it doesn’t matter which boxing you get.  You’ll need to source a bent refueling probe, since the E and F kits only have the straight probe.

Ok thanks Dave that is useful information on the Trumpeter kits as I was wondering if there was any difference - I did rebuild an old Hasegawa Skyhawk a while ago and quite liked it despite its vintage - thanks for the link too

Chris

It's great to see this conversion set released. Now, I wonder if there is a market for the Singapore AF two seat SkyHawk. It has to be the most odd looking and unique version of the Sky Hawk...

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hamfists nz said:

It’s supposed to have decals in the kit?

The only decals are for the IP.  There are no A-4K Kahu decals included with the conversion.  Waiting for Ronin Decals to come out with their sheets, which Roy say he has an order in for.  Last I talked to Ronin, they were delayed due to the flooding in Australia.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, hamfists nz said:

Ok so I’ve got my set. Very impressed. The paperwork says there’s instructions on barracudas website. I can’t find them anywhere. Anyone else had better luck?

I emailed Roy and he said that the instructions should be up any day. I would keep checking the product page and you should find them soon

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Oldmodelsdecals has 1/32 sheets for ALL Kahu schemes!

I have a set of these..they look very nice but they’re printed..very tricky..you need to put clear coat on them and let it dry before you use ..not for the faint hearted 

Edited by hamfists nz